Lauren Acton's Reviews > The Brahms Deception

The Brahms Deception by Louise Marley

Jan 26, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is a completely fabricated account of Brahm's relationship with Clara Schumann interwoven with the stories of two musicologists who are able to go back in time to observe them. I liked Kristian as a character and I was prepared to like Frederica during the first chapter, but holy crap, did she ever become a selfish bitch!
Parts of the time traveling reminded me a little of Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, in that there are people in the future who know that something has gone wrong in the past with their researcher, but they're not entirely sure what to do about it.
As a musicologist myself, this was a fun, quick little read about Brahms and Clara. I think Marley could have made even more of the theme about how far you're willing to go in your research - what lines you might be willing to cross if you were given a completely unique opportunity to delve into your subject.
But mostly, this book made me want to go back to Tuscany! Marley includes some mouthwatering descriptions of food in both the present and past settings.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brahms Deception.