Maru's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Jan 26, 2012

liked it
Read from January 27 to 28, 2012

Rating: 3 STARS

A very nice start to the series... I found a couple of problems here and there, but all in all I really enjoyed it, and it was definitely a page-turner.

The story is told from Rose Hathaway's perspective, she is a dhampir, in other words a guardian to a Moroi vampire (mortal vampires). Lissa Dragomir, her best fried, is the Moroi vampire she looks after, and on top of sharing a special frienship they share a psychic bond though neither of them knows why or how it came to be. Rose and Lissa ran away from their vampire academy, St. Vladmir, when strange things started happening to Lissa there. However, now on the ran, guardians from the school found them and brought them back... There they start learning more about what makes them special, and why in turn this is putting them in danger.

Rose is a likeable character, I had fun going through the story with her. She's funny, strong, sometimes too wild for her own good, but always puts Lissa's needs above her own. The plot was constantly moving, and kept me entertained throughout the entire book even though I pretty much guessed who was the "bad guy" from the beginning (I prefer when I have no clue)... I don't know if the fact that the 'bad guy' seemed obvious to me, happened to anyone else while reading it.

The heart of the story, in my opinion, is in Rose and Lissa's relationship. It's very different to anything I have ever read before, and I found their friendship and the way they looked out for each other quite fascinating. I would like to see more of Dimitri's personality though. He is the guardian that trains Rose, and her love interest. Even though I liked their relationship, and even rooted for them in some parts, I wish I knew more about him, what about his personality really makes Rose like him. Because for the most part he was just a tough guy, who fought really well, who cared for her, but one who didn't speak much. I also found there were too many descriptions about his hotness, which would be fine, but in some parts I felt like it the author was just adding descriptions of how good he looks when the moment didn't call for it. But that only happened a couple of times, so it wasn't a big deal.

The entire story developed the characters nicely, there was suspense, there's laughter, and you find yourself rooting for Rose more and more. There is a very nice climax in the story, and the conclusion is very satisfying, allowing the book to stand by itself even though it's part of a series. That's one thing that I'm usually wary about when reading a series. If I feel like it was just one story that is separated into several books just to get more out of it, without a real need to do that, it bugs me. That doesn't happen here. This book sets up the beginning of the story nicely, but it's also able to stand alone as a solid book with a beginning, middle and end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

01/27/2012 page 156