Shawna's Reviews > Rock Chick

Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley

Jan 03, 15

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, author-kristen-ashley, romantic-suspense, format-ebook, kindle, 2012-reads, 3-to-4-stars, action-packed, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, bikers-sexy-as-sin, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, badasses-hunks-in-leather, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, chick-lit, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, pov-first-person, friends-to-lovers, hero-alpha‎, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-brooding, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-military-war-veteran, hero-pissed-me-off-and-turned-me-on, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-uber-alpha-domineering, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, steam-2-warm, unrequited-love-crush, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-im-gaga-over, series-rock-chick, heroine-i-hated-nearly-ruined-book, heroine-redhead, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, best-friendships, favorite-romance-series, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-tstl, heroine-wtf-does-hero-see-in-her
Recommended for: KA fans
Read in March, 2012

3 ½ stars – Chick lit/Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

I was initially worried that this might be too chick lit for my taste, but I figured I couldn’t go wrong with it being Kristen Ashley. Rock Chick is definitely a wild ride with a weird mix of self-indulgent, silly chick lit, zany mystery, wacky humor, movie style action, madcap suspense, and steamy romance that’s overall entertaining.

I especially liked enigmatic, badass alpha male Liam “Lee” Nightingale, but self-proclaimed rock chick and annoying TSTL poster girl Indy Savage nearly ruined this for me. Gawd I wanted to b*tch slap her sooo many times! And she had all these hot men fighting for her and falling all over themselves to rescue her ass. Seriously?!?! Do men really want such high maintenance, ungrateful, shrill b*tches? Sadly, I think the answer to that is probably...oh hell yes. After all, knights love to save damsels in distress, right? But I’m hoping the other Rock Chick heroines won’t be so infuriating or make my palm itch for a smackdown like Indy.

*****Edited from original rating/review*****

I bumped this from a low 3.5 to a higher 3.5 (closer to 4 stars) after finishing Rock Chick Regret, loving the series, and eventually growing to like Indy!

18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock Chick.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Kristen Ashley
“If it’s just you sharing your feelings, perhaps you can voice it less like an order,” I suggested.

“I’m used to giving orders and if it sounds like one then there’s always a chance you’ll obey.”
Kristen Ashley, Rock Chick

Kristen Ashley
“Do you always wear underwear like this, or is it for me?”
I rolled to my back and pulled the sheet to my waist.
“It isn’t for you, I’ve been wearing underwear like this since Gram gave me my first Frederick’s of Hollywood box on my sixteenth birthday. Now, I owe Victoria’s Secret my first-born child.”
Before speaking again, Lee waited several seconds that can only be described as ‘loaded silence’. While this silence was going on, he pulled the sheet back down.
“You’re tellin’ me that since you were sixteen you’ve been sittin’ next to me every year at Christmas Dinner wearin’ underwear like this?”
Kristen Ashley, Rock Chick
tags: lee

~ Becs ~ I'm thinking Jet is gonna annoy you in book 2 and probably Ava in book 5 but if you can cope with Mara's 'marking' system, maybe not :-)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wonderful review, Shawna. I've been a bit leery to read this series. I've noticed there's a lot of hit or miss with the books reviews, and I'm not a huge fan of Chic-lit. I hope they're not too chic-lit for me. I'll still read them because it's KA. Lol.

Shawna Becs, Oh Mara's ranking system definitely annoyed the hell out of me, but she eventually wised up and thus won me over. Indy acted like an immature 13-year-old girl the whole book! (view spoiler)

Shawna Thanks, Kristen! It wasn't too chick lit-ish for me to enjoy and there's definitely romance...and of course a hot KA uber alpha hero! It was mainly just the bratty, TSTL Indy that lessened my overall enjoyment. I'll still give the other Rock Chicks a chance, though.

Karla Very funny Shawna...she was annoying, but Liam more than made up for her. I'm moving on to book 2 this week and want to see this series through to the end. I hear there are some good ones amongst a few that are...not so much!!

Shawna Thanks, Karla! Oh yes...Liam was yummy! I'll definitely read more of the series, but I'm hoping the other heroines don't drive me nuts like Indy. LOL!

message 7: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Well, some of the heroines can be annoying (especially Jet from Rock Chick Rescue), but later in the series they do become more serious in a way, and definitely less b*tchy.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) You were a lot more generous than me. I really disliked this book and if it wasn't for making the mistake of reading book 7 (thinking I was checking out the feel of book 2) I would have given up on this series. Book 7 is amazing! It gave me hope for the series! Fantastic review, Shawna!

message 9: by Shawna (last edited Apr 05, 2012 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna Thanks, Kristen! I pretty much hated Indy, and if not for Lee and that it's KA and therefore still managed to entertain me, my rating would have been even lower.

I'm glad to hear book #7 is better! Did it work okay not having read the previous Rock Chick books first?

I've heard the heroine of book #2 is annoying, too. I'll probably still read them all and in order though.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I gave book 7 five stars. I adored the book. It reminded me of Heaven and Hell and had lots more steam. I do wish I would have read the books in order. I ruined the series for myself (I know everyone's story) and I was lost a few time because it was obvious there were backstories I needed to know but I still gave it 5 stars. So that says how great I thought it was. It reminded me of KA's other series. And there was no slapstick antics that was so prevalent in this book. I'm not reading book 2 because Karla told me I'd hate the heroine worse than Indy, so I'm just starting with book 3 and going from there.

Shawna That sounds good and has me tempted to jump ahead, but I'll probably go ahead and read them in order since I'm sure I'll want to read them all.

KatLynne Great review Shawna! I loved Liam Nightingale too.

Shawna Thanks, KatLynne! This series is a fun, wild ride! I just finished Rock Chick Renegade and so far it's my favorite RC.

KatLynne I've heard good things about RCR. I'm now on book #2 and enjoying it. Lot of laugh out loud moments which I love:)