Colette 's Reviews > The Fashion Police

The Fashion Police by Sibel Hodge

Jan 26, 2012

bookshelves: chick-lit, mystery, romance, lol-funny
Read in February, 2012

Originally posted on A Buckeye Girl Reads

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a mystery this much. I love mysteries, but have discovered that I can't read cozies as the description to detail to whatever business the heroine owns drives me batty. I also think the authors talk down to their audience in those books. (I could just be reading the wrong ones though) Such is not the case here-the heroine is witty, tough, independent and spunky.

This mystery features Amber Fox who gets fired from her job as a detective for shooting her boss, the evil Janice Skipper in the ass. I mean who hasn't wanted to do that before?? She needs a job and reluctantly accepts one from her ex finance Brad who runs an insurance company, Hi Tec. She's an investigator and her first case to look into Umberto Fandango. She goes to see him and when he winds up missing, she realizes that she is one of the last people to see him. There are so many suspects and twists and turns that I was kept guessing until the end as to who was behind him. However, the Fandoango case isn't the only one Amber is working on, and the others get her in equal amount of hot water. I loved it when she went to interview someone for the company and paint fell on her hair. There were just so many over the top and lol moments that it made me fall in love with Amber.

Amber wasn't the only character that I fell in love with. There was her boyfriend Rome0, and her ex Brad. Morelli and Ranger from the Stephanie Plum books have nothing on these two! Both are smokin hot, and really care about Amber. Romeo is being chased after by the evil Janice Skipper and is awol due to being on an undercover case. He wants Amber to move in with him, but she's just not sure yet. Working for Brad stirs feelings that Amber thought weren't there any more and it scares her. It's a good thing that her mom is there to help try to work things out. Her parents were hysterical. I loved how her dad, a retired detective kept wearing crazy outfits for the neighborhood watch program. Other characters I loved were Tia, Umbertos daughter and Hacker, who does the hacking for Brad. These two were hilarious. I loved how Tia kept following Amber to see what was going on in the case about her dad as the police wouldn't tell her anything.

However much I loved the secondary characters, I loved the setting more-England. I'm a sucker for anything set in that country and this book was no exception. There is just something about British slang and well everything else that I love and can't get enough of. This is one of the best self published books I've read yet. It's also one of those books where this review doesn't do it justice.

Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High
Curran Crush Meter: High

Martini Sigh Meter: High
Rhinnanon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High
Finn/Swopes Sidekick Meter: High
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fashion Police.

02/08/2012
20.0% "This is cute so far!"
02/09/2012
55.0% "I'm really enjoying this one. Lots of lol moments."
02/11/2012
80.0% "Still clueless as to who did what."
02/11/2012
100.0% "Can't wait to read bk.2"