Bennett Gavrish's Reviews > The Snowman

liked it
Read from January 13 to 19, 2012

Grade: C

L/C Ratio: 20/80
(This means I estimate the author devoted 20% of his effort to creating a literary work of art and 80% of his effort to creating a commercial bestseller.)

Thematic Breakdown:
50% - Detective mystery
30% - Action/Adventure
10% - Horror
10% - Romance

I don’t know what is wrong with me. This is twice in a row I’ve broken my own rule and read a book from a series. And in both cases I jumped right into the middle of the series instead of starting from the beginning like a sensible human being. Although in the case of The Snowman, I didn’t have much of a choice since not all of Jo Nesbo’s novels have been translated from Norwegian to English yet.

I was worried the whole foreign translation thing would be an issue, but the language flows relatively well throughout the book. (My one complaint regarding word choice is that it feels like the term “duvet” appears five times per chapter. Maybe people in Norway just really love their bedding.)

Look, The Snowman is a serviceable detective mystery. The serial killer plot creates some intricate puzzles and suspenseful moments, which makes certain chapters legitimate page-turners. But the characters are largely stale, and as the number of twists in the investigation grows, the outcome begins to feel less shocking and more arbitrary.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snowman.