Bennett Gavrish's Reviews > The Angel Esmeralda

Feb 02, 12

Read from January 26 to 29, 2012

Grade: B-

L/C Ratio: 80/20
(This means I estimate the author devoted 80% of his effort to creating a literary work of art and 20% of his effort to creating a commercial bestseller.)

Thematic Breakdown:
40% - Cultural exploration
30% - Investigation of the human condition
30% - Crumbling of society

When people ask about my favorite authors, Don DeLillo is always on the list (even though all that really means is that I read White Noise in college and thought it was awesome). Right now he’s one of the few writers who has earned automatic purchase status – meaning I buy every new book of his without thinking twice.

Nothing against the short story format, but I came into The Angel Esmeralda with limited expectations. The book is a collection of nine stories, spanning 30+ years of DeLillo’s career. There are no particularly memorable characters or plots to discover, as the stories feel more like sketches or vignettes than fully-formed narratives.

If you enjoyed 2010’s Point Omega, then The Angel Esmeralda is certainly worth a read. The combination of sharpness and depth distinguishes DeLillo’s writing and reminds you why he is one of the kings of contemporary fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel Esmeralda.