Halley Todd's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: romance, ya, angels, demons, finding-one-s-self, good-vs-evil, war, relationships, family-love
Read in January, 2012

I had really high hopes for this novel that just were not met. The first half of the novel featured Karou, a skillful art student. She was independent, able to fend off her ex-boyfriend who cheated on her, not scared to speak her mind, and was loyal to her friends and family, who were a bunch of demons. However, they were good demons. They were half animals, half humans, and took Karou in when she was a baby and raised her. Her "father," Brimstone, was always trying to instill in her a sense of what important wishes were. He was able to grant wishes, you see. Karou ran errands for him in the human world, which included gathering teeth, which he traded for wishes.

However, all of these fantastic elements that really caught my attention were throw out of the window when an angel, who of course, is the the most beautiful thing ever and gorgeous, enters the picture. The entire story shifts from these important relationships and finding one's self to just another mushy, YA paranormal romance. There are still some intriguing aspects of the story, and I will still read the second one, but I am so sad that all of the potential for a truly excellent story had to be killed by another mushy, most beautiful beings in the world who are just drawn together, romance.

1 like · likeflag