Karah's Reviews > The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home

The Big House by George Howe Colt

Sep 21, 08

Read in September, 2008

I finally "finished" this book after reading parts of it throughout the summer. It's really an interesting book and passages in it I just loved and read them out loud to Mason. Some of it really reminded me of the cottage in Wisconsin that has been in Mason's family for almost 100 years. Like the sounds and smells that are so familiar but only experienced for a short time during vacation.

Part of what made this difficult for me to read straight through was that it wasn't written "novel style" and a lot of it is the author's personal thoughts regarding his childhood. But some of it is very historical information about the settlement of the Northeastern coastline and how these homes came to be. I think it'd be much more interesting to me if it was about a cottage in the midwest as it's hard for me to picture a shore I've never seen and understand things like fishing boats and ocean waves as part of weekend vacations as a child. Overall, I did like the book and think it's sad to see houses like this that were once one-family vacation homes turn into multi-family retreats that are difficult to afford, maintain, and find time to visit.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big House.