Melanie's Reviews > Driving with Dead People

Driving with Dead People by Monica Holloway

Jan 11, 14

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I thought this book was going to be funny. It was. I just didn't realize at first that the author was writing an actual memoir based on her own growing up experiences, and that while she wrote with a great deal of humor, there was also something deeper and more tragic going on in her life. THAT surprised me.

The author kept it real, and that I liked.

She "dealt" with her experiences as she became an adult and ultimately confronted her abusers in her own way (and I say ABUSERS plural because I consider her Mother's abuse right up there with her Father's). She didn't just survive. She came out a better person on the other side...with little of the bitterness one would expect. In my book, that is to be praised. I think she comes across as a triumphant heroine in the end...strong, courageous and honest with herself and others. It sounds like she kept her sense of humor and has gone on with her life brilliantly.

The book made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me angry. It made me feel. It made me call someone very dear to me who went through a similar situation. I called her to tell her how I wish I could have helped prevent what happened to her and how brave and strong I think she is. In my "book," that makes this book VERY positive and effective. Spurring someone to action, encouraging them to reach out and connect with others...a huge motivator! Thank you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driving with Dead People.