Prashanth's Reviews > The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams & Reaching Your Destiny

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin S. Sharma

M_50x66
Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: self-help

** spoiler alert ** Okay, there was lot of expecation getting into this. This story about nothing is supposedly illuminating, is undoubtedly popular, and has been translated into umpteen Indian languages. There are moments that I did enjoy, but overall it was not a satisfactory experience.

The author starts with a silly story about some Himalayan monks who enlighten a guy. Although we never know the real age of the 'guy', he returns looking like a 30 yr guy post enlightenment. The underlying representation of life's principles through a sumo wrestler coming out in a bikini (well, not really) from a lighthouse and ultimately going on a diamond path - is downright silly. I am sure I should be working on a better metaphor one of these days. Probably then I can write a 'Software Engg. sold his Indica'?

Then there are good parts that make one think. Live in the present, work hard by enjoying your work and other messages - very relevant. But the book is probably addressed at a person who is completely new to philosophical thinking? It does not provide one like me on the second step something fresh to think about. Writing style is downright irritating in parts (e.g. use of 'ancient' 10500 times, how happy can one be post enlightenment). There have been techniques defined in the book to get on the path to achievement, which did not really interest me.

All said, one needs to read these kind of books periodically. It has a certain effect on one to be more aware of life, get less annoyed at others, and maintain a healthy attitude. But whether that will be from the books by Mr. Robin Shama - I doubt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari.