Erica's Reviews > Prep

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Mar 31, 08

Read in April, 2006

"We imagine ourselves as distinct entities, but in their eyes, we merge into a great mass of adolescent neediness."

"I'd experienced an emotional surge, I too felt the need for expression."

"We matched each other well, our bodies fit. I didn't know enough then to realize that doesn't always happen--that sometimes you cannot settle on an angle with the other person, your weight won't balance, your bones poke."

"I have always found the times when another person recognizes you to be strangely sad; I suspect the pathos of these moments is their rareness, the way they contrast with most daily encounters. That reminder that it can be different, that you need not go through your life unknown but that you probably still will--that is the part that's almost unbearable."

"What I wanted was to be a cocky high-school boy, so fucking sure of my place in the world."

"There are people we treat wrong, and later, we're prepared to treat other people right. Perhaps this sounds mercernary, but I feel grateful for those trial relationships, and I would like to think it all evens out--surely, unknowingly, I have served as practice for other people."

"Maybe it was like gathering all your strength and hurling your body against a door you believe to be locked, and then the door opens easily--it wasn't locked at all--and you're standing looking into the room, trying to remember what it was you thought you wanted."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prep.