Anthony's Reviews > The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera

Jan 25, 12

Read in June, 2007 — I own a copy

This may be my favorite Kundera. When I was reading this in June of 2007 and carrying the book around with me at a bar with a friend I was approached by a woman who asked me if that was in fact The Book of Laughter and Forgetting I was reading because she had read that book 15 years prior and could still remember the following passage:

"…every love relationship is based on unwritten conventions rashly agreed upon by the lovers during the first weeks of their love. On the one hand, they are living a sort of dream; on the other, without realizing it, there are drawing up the fine print of their contracts like the most hard-nosed of lawyers. O lovers! Be wary during those perilous first days! If you serve the other party breakfast in bed, you will be obliged to continue same in perpetuity or faces charges of animosity and treason!"

This book is as much political and about the meaning of writing as it is about love and relationships, but my point in sharing this little story is to demonstrate how this book hits you with its depth and meaning; if someone remembers passages from 15 years of reading and is so inspired to talk to a stranger about their reading, then it is most certainly a memorable book and one you should read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Laughter and Forgetting.