Gunne's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

1925634
Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: shelved, young-adult-fiction
Read in April, 2012

I've always had the impression that Under the Never Sky fell into the same category of books like Looking for Alaska and Thirteen Reasons Why. So I wasn't expecting a dystopian fantasy, which it turned out to be.

The book got off to a slow start, and I wanted to skip reading altogether a few times, but it improved greatly at the 3/4 mark. I think the problem with Rossi is that she's trying too hard to keep the book's many revelations close to the end, and although the book redeemed itself somewhat, it failed to be engaging at the beginning. There were too many alien rules and terms to get used to in the first chapter, and I got bored trying to understand the dystopian world. Obviously I got used to it later on, but it didn't hook me at all, quite the opposite actually. My ending impression went along the lines of, "Oh, cool", so... not much of a passionate attachment to the climax there. The characters were borderline likeable, but I could not care for their relationships with one another. If this turned out as part of a series (it sounded like it intended to be anyway), I honestly wouldn't be motivated to read the rest.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.