Jay's Reviews > Ash

Ash by Malinda Lo

2419499
Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, faerie-magic, fantasy, my-lesbianism-let-me-show-you-it, ya
Read from January 25 to 30, 2012

There's something I love about retold fairy tales. I'm not sure why- I've been rather disappointed by more than a few in the past, but I keep coming back for more. They need to be bold retellings, retellings that are incredibly vibrant and put a whole new twist on the shenanigans. Ash doesn't particularly do that, but the world building itself is quite vibrant, and the lesbian romance does score points with me.

The story itself starts slow, and it wasn't until there was a passing line about two females kissing as part of a Yule celebration that it caught my attention. I read that line a couple of times, wondering if I'd misread it, but nope, it was there. After that, my attention was raised and after a quick search around on Google, I realised that yup, this was a lesbian love story. Whoo!

At the same time, there was a rather subdued romance with a male faerie. It's a curse from Ash's mother, who cursed him to fall in love with a human girl. Too bad it was her daughter. I can't help but feel as though this subplot was hastily put in place by Lo to appease her publishes or authors. It could have been done a smidge better, in my opinion, but it could have also been taken out completely and not really messed up the storyline. When Ash returns to Sidhean to 'repay her debt', it's never said what happens. We just cut to the following morning. I think this really dragged the story down.

This is a lovely story, with beautiful imagery. One I'll be keeping for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash.

01/26/2012 page 12