Paul Clayton's Reviews > The Simulacra

The Simulacra by Philip K. Dick

May 01, 12

Read from January 25 to April 18, 2012

I finished the Simulacra. While there was a lot to admire in this story, I don't think it represents Dick's best. One of the problems with writing scifi (and I just released a collection of scifi stories; so I'm concerned with this) is that if you write about the near future, things can take a turn in the complete opposite of where you had your story/novel going. Dick has a lot 'right' in this novel... He sees Presidents serving till they die, then being stealthily replaced with talking head robots that do fireside chats and such. He sees America joining up with Europe to become USEA (United States of Europe and America). He sees dictatorship, guvmint figureheads, while things are run by boardrooms of unelected unknown nefarious types. I think he's close to something there, or at least I do in my more paranoid moments. As far as joining us to the hip with Europe, I don't see that happening. Mexico and Canada is more likely. Let's see, USCMA (United States of Canada, Mexico and America). That's more likely to be what we end up with... a bigger conglomerate, with a lot less freedom and liberty. But hey, who needs liberty when you got google and facebook?

He (Dick) has the meek inheriting the earth (Neanderthals). I liked that. Anyway, like I said, I don't think this is his best, but I made sure I finished it. And I'm glad I did. A fine mind and writer like Dick deserves to be paid attention to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Simulacra.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Gallup Absolutely nothing paranoid about seeing things being run by boardrooms of unelected bureaucrats. It's happening now. 8(

Paul Clayton Dig. I guess you must be following this Dissident screw up in China. I hope that guy, Chen, makes it out of there.

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Gallup It's looking better for him today. Perhaps China's new "flexibility" is intended to take away a campaign negative for the person they hope stays in the WH.

BTW, your comments on writing about the future reminded me of Edgar Rice Burroughs' sci-fi circa 1915. His Moon series, for example, missed completely in projecting how the space program would evolve.