Leslie's Reviews > The Children You Want with the Kids You Have

F_50x66
Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, parenting
Read in January, 2012

I actually really liked this book . . . probably one of my favorite parenting books so far. A lot of people felt overwhelmed by it, but maybe because they had older kids than I do? I feel like because my kids are so young, it wouldn't be as hard to introduce new methods or routines into our lives. Organization is super important to me, and I realize that it takes a somewhat organized mom to teach her children everything that a mother should be teaching children: obedience, respect, honesty, hard work, independence, etc. I'm the kind of mom who has awesome IDEAS about things I'd like to do to encourage this kind of behavior in my kids--the problem is that I'm not good at coming up with an equally awesome plan of attack for implementing my brilliant ideas. :) This book did a great job of filling that gap for me.

As with all parenting books, you take some, you leave some. There were a couple of things that seemed over the top, and a lot of her dialogue examples were cheesy and/or unrealistic, but overall, I heartily agree with her principles. This is a book I would like to buy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children You Want with the Kids You Have.