Dick's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Mar 05, 12

This is a riveting, page turning book for sure. It is about a man who served in WWII in the PTO aboard a B-24 which was shot down. He survived that and many days in the open ocean. Some of his crew survived, but most did not. The experiences they went through for those many days is harrowing to even imagine, let alone experience. Eventually was picked up by the Japanese Navy and put in a POW camp. One of many to come. There was one Japanese officer who knew who Louie Zamperini who was a track start prior to the war. Hence this Japanese officer knew who he had. For some reason this officer picked Louie out to focus his wrath on. Beatings were daily and other atrocities occurred. The book goes into what the Japanese army did to those people that they conquered - which is brutal to put it mildly.

Louis survived and came home, but his experiences led to a personal hell of drinking and he rapidly deteriorated as a man. It was not until he became a Christian - thanks to attending a Billy Graham meeting - that he turned his life around.

Eventually he regained his health. He managed to save enough money to return to Japan - because he wanted to tell all the camp POW guards that were still alive that he had become a Christian and had forgiven them - every one of them.

The worst of his captors was a man known as The Bird. Louie tried hard to meet with him to tell hkm that as a Christian he had forgiven him.

The book is a testament to what being a Christian is about and sets the bar for all of us who say we are Christians.

On the overleaf of the book it states that this story is a testament to the resilience of the human mind, body and spirit. That surely does sum it up.

I gave it five stars - something I very rarely do.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tara Were you there when he came to NPCC? At our book club, we watched the video of his appearance. Pretty cool!

Dick Yes, we were there when he was at NPCC. I have tried - in vain - to find the link to his appearance with Jeff Henderson. If you have the link, please send it along. I have had several links given to me, but none of them took me to the correct link. Dick