Paul Hankins's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Okay. I see the overall package of the book, but unlike another YA that is out now where fictitious authors create fictitious works that weave with some ease into the narrative, the use of films Handler makes up to sound smart and hip end up slogging the story down for this reader.

I love the teaming of Handler and Kalman, the book, as a package, is certainly slick and "arty," but I am having a hard time accepting this one as an honor book for the year.

But. . .I will celebrate the smartness of this book, with the times that paragraphs are abandoned to build a sense of quiet urgency and build to a sense of "oh, Min. . .don't do it."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.

01/26/2012 page 65
18.0% "Loving the Maira Kalman illustrations throughout. Kalman has a picture book out this month about Abraham Lincoln. She also did FIREBOAT a few years back. I am liking this story that reads like a very smart 13 Reasons Why. The dialogue is crisp and smart early on and it does a nice job of portraying the early buddings of a relationship. Thinking of the kind of student that might like these kinds of films."
01/26/2012 page 65
18.0% "I'm also thinking that the kind of reader who might enjoy this book for the film references might want to go back and get THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET. And, I'm thinking. . .what does it say of modern cinema that we can name of a couple of titles that cite older films or create fictitious films to carry a story?"
show 1 hidden update…

Teresa Garrett I rushed out and checked this out from the library yesterday. I started reading and found it interesting to say the least. Can't wait to see where it leads.

Paul  Hankins Me too. . .

Teresa Garrett I felt the same way. I had to kind of force myself to finish it. I like the overall premise of the story but it did not flow for me.