Kim's Reviews > The Three Incestuous Sisters

The Three Incestuous Sisters by Audrey Niffenegger

Jul 09, 08

Read in July, 2008

Obviously, I didn't get this book. I'm trying to think of redeeming qualities for it and the only thing I can come up with is "unusual." It was definitely not what I expected. This is a picture book, but for some reason I expected more words. This book is about 176 pages long, on the left is a sentence and on the facing page is a picture. And honestly, I didn't think the pictures were very good. They were all done through a process called "aquatint," a process involving metal and acid followed by watercolors, which the author explained in an afterword that was the most interesting part of the book. The pictures were done entirely in black and white except for everyone's hair and the green boy so they were very dark and a bit difficult to make out sometimes. Maybe I just thought they were difficult to make out because I wanted them to have more detail, to compensate for the lack of words, and they just didn't. The story, involving murder, insanity, and deformity (but oddly, no incest), was just creepy. It took the author 14 years to complete this book (meanwhile, "The Time Traveler's Wife" was something she did in her spare time), I hope, for the author's sake, that other people out there appreciate it more than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Incestuous Sisters.