Kathy's Reviews > The Rope

The Rope by Nevada Barr

Jan 30, 12

Read from January 25 to 29, 2012

I've been a huge fan of Nevada Barr ever since I read Ill Wind many years ago. That book prompted a huge desire to see Mesa Verde National Park that was finally quenched in 2005. I love her descriptions of the national parks that just make them come alive.

This latest book, The Rope, is a prequel to the Anna Pigeon series. It is set in the Glen Canyon Recreational Area on Lake Powell. What a gorgeous setting. I've been to Page and Lake Powell but not extensively so I am quite thrilled to be taken there on the "first" Anna Pigeon adventure.

The author, Nevada Barr, in this book provides us with the background of Anna's decision to join the National Park Service. After the death of her husband Zach, Anna leaves New York City for a completely new world...working as a seasonal employee of the National Parks. She is kidnapped and brutalized for the first third of the book. The end result of that ordeal gives us the Anna we know. The Anna that is a strong independent woman.

Great book filled with action,adventure and mystery. It was hard to put down as I was dying to know who Anna's tormentor would turn out to be. Another winner from Nevada Barr.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rope.