Machiko's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Feb 01, 2012

Read from January 25 to 31, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Quotes Machiko Liked

Daniel Kahneman
“The psychologist, Paul Rozin, an expert on disgust, observed that a single cockroach will completely wreck the appeal of a bowl of cherries, but a cherry will do nothing at all for a bowl of cockroaches.”

Daniel Kahneman
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”

Daniel Kahneman
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it”

Daniel Kahneman
“Intelligence is not only the ability to reason; it is also the ability to find relevant material in memory and to deploy attention when needed.”

Daniel Kahneman
“Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.”

Daniel Kahneman
“Odd as it may seem, I am my remembering self, and the experiencing self, who does my living, is like a stranger to me.”

Daniel Kahneman
“You are more likely to learn something by finding surprises in your own behavior than by hearing surprising facts about people in general.”

Daniel Kahneman
“We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events.”

Daniel Kahneman
“acquisition of skills requires a regular environment, an adequate opportunity to practice, and rapid and unequivocal feedback about the correctness of thoughts and actions.”

Daniel Kahneman
“we can be blind to the obvious, and we are also blind to our blindness.”

Daniel Kahneman
“If you care about being thought credible and intelligent, do not use complex language where simpler language will do.”

Daniel Kahneman
“The psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (pronounced six-cent-mihaly) has done more than anyone else to study this state of effortless attending, and the name he proposed for it, flow, has become part of the language. People who experience flow describe it as “a state of effortless concentration so deep that they lose their sense of time, of themselves, of their problems,”

Daniel Kahneman
“For example, students of policy have noted that the availability heuristic helps explain why some issues are highly salient in the public’s mind while others are neglected. People tend to assess the relative importance of issues by the ease with which they are retrieved from memory—and this is largely determined by the extent of coverage in the media.”