Matt Palmer's Reviews > Black Hawk Down

Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

Jan 25, 12

Helicopters crashing, RPG’s launching, men fighting to survive, all some of the many things that happen in the action packed book “Black Hawk Down” by Mark Bowden. The book is an excellent way to learn about the war while having a good time reading. All the action in the book makes it very interesting, yet the factual information is also provided by the author. The book is so real, it gets you on the edge of your seat while reading. With all this action packed information, you can obtain a lot of knowledge about the book and have fun, all this putting the pieces of the puzzle together to make a fantastic book.
All hell breaks lose when the United Sates Army drops in to Somalia in 2001. Roughly 120 men are sent on a mission to recover two main lieutenants, yet that mission went from simple to life threatening. “Black Hawk Down” by Mark Bowden puts you right in action page after page. The book gives you the mission that “the boys” will be completing. They have to literally drop into the “heart” of Somalia and attempt to arrest two much wanted fugitives. Yet what they don’t know is that they are going to run in to a lot of trouble.
As the book goes on you are taken into all the missions (all taken place in Africa), that literally are so detailed you may begin to shake. Towards the middle of the book the Rangers are on a main mission in Somalia, being hated by the somalians, they are shot down (in a Black Hawk) an immediately swarmed by 100’s of men. Taking heavy fire, other Rangers and Delta force members are given the task to get in there and save their asses.
With bodies dropping left and right, this is no laughing matter. Later, when a second black hawk goes down they all know there is not much they can do. An RPG (rocket launcher) caused the Black Hawk to go down that day, when fired by a Somali citizen. As the book continues, it covers other covert elite missions that are not as interesting as when the black hawk goes down, yet they all share a connection that makes them necessary for this book to cover them. Each mission is just a ripple effect to the next infuriating both sides so they will keep on butting heads until who knows what! Each mission is like a domino to the next, they all lead to another. With such great cooperative chapters the book is tied down perfectly.

I thought the book was rather interesting. As not being someone who enjoys to read. The only kind of book I could see myself enjoying is action and that contributed to the incredible book Black Hawk Down. Surprisingly I took a lot more from this book than acrtion, it showed me not to take for granted what we have because there are people out there with so much worse. It also showed me that the soldiers who fight for us go threw so much and they deserve a lot better than they have. All these lessons made me love the book. A book like that has to be really good to, because if I love a book, you know it has to be good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hawk Down.

Captainhoward73 you could be an author or something, this reveiw is just breath taking

message 2: by Ms.Peritore (new)

Ms.Peritore Glad to see you enjoyed it captainhoward73.

Captainhoward73 Swag me out