Jetches (My Not So Vacant Shelf)'s Reviews > The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Dec 30, 12

bookshelves: for-school
Read from January 25 to 30, 2012

I read this novel for class a couple of years ago when the first Narnia movie came out and I wanted to read the entire Chronicles of Narnia, which I did. Now I had to read it for class and basically pull it apart and look for all the deep meaning behind it.

The meaning behind it is pretty obvious its and representation of the creation of the world from the catholic/Christian perspective. Aslan=God, Diggory and Polly as well as Frank and Helen = Adam and Eve, and Jadis=Lucifer/Satan.

Also it’s a great children’s book. The Imagination C.S Lewis must have had to create The Chronicles of Narnia must have been limitless to literally create other worlds and create a dimensional traveling machine without it really being a machine.

For such a short novel it carries a lot of adventure.

Good:
The creation of Narnia

Diggory’s random funny comments if you catch them may actually make you laugh out loud

Bad:
The comic relief that the animals brought or others brought seemed of no importance and I kind of wanted to skip over it.

I questions how to kids could just sit there and eat lunch when the witch was out and about, otherwise there wasn’t anything else that I disliked about the book.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):
Overall the story was a great one and I am happy that I found out the creation of Narnia. Also taking into consideration the fact that the book was originally written in 1955 and set in the early 1900s the story was not hard to follow, the morals were still fit for our time, and it was still a good story to read even some 50 years later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Nephew.

01/30/2012 page 183