Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Reviews > The Bridge on the Drina

2026178
Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: 1001-books
Read from April 02 to 11, 2012

I took a moment to google and see photos of the bridge as it stands today. It's a beautiful bridge, as is the green water of the Drina river.

The book is a series of vignettes which take place at various points in the history of Bosnia. The early parts which have become so much legend were very interesting, especially that about the building of the bridge itself. In the first chapters, there was a very graphic bit of cruelty and violence. While there were one or two other depictions of cruelty, others were not so graphic. I understand the fact of the deep distrust and dislike of the people of different religions, although I'll never truly understand the why of it. That is part of their heritage - maybe so in much of the world - but it isn't part of my heritage.

I am really glad that I read this. I got bogged down in several places by the half way mark and to the end. The writing was plodding and I didn't enjoy the actual reading of it, though to be fair perhaps it wasn't a good translation. However, I was always kept aware of the bridge being beautiful in reality and also a wonderful piece of symbolism. For the town of Viṧegrad, it was a meeting and social place, a bridge between its people. It has lasted for more than 4 centuries, and is a bridge of time and of its various rulers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridge on the Drina.