Dawn (& Ron)'s Reviews > Sinful Urges

Sinful Urges by Sonia Hightower

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: only-available-as-an-e-book, recommended, two-fer-tbr, kindle-read, read-by-ron
Recommended to Dawn (& Ron) by: Tara, Lance
Read in February, 2012

This is my first time reading this genre. The reasons I read this is in part due to my New Years goal to break out of my reading comfort zone. You know that giant first step, well I took it. The reasons for this particular book "Sinful Urges" are two-fold. I was told that there was a unique and interesting story here, something different for the genre. Here I need to admit that the author is a friend of mine, although when she first mentioned she was venturing into erotica I didn't exactly jump up and down wanting to read it. As I heard more feedback on the book it made sense that I read her first offering. I have made every effort to be honest and unbiased in my opinions.

Overall, I found myself really enjoying the book, actually more than I may have anticipated. I can't say how those who read this genre regularly will react to the heated scenes. The only nit picky thing I can comment on was the overuse of the same terms to describe parts of the anatomy. Then again how many terms or nicknames are there? The storyline is what I most enjoyed and what compelled me to read on. What an amazing ride! No, I won't ruin it and tell you how I meant the pun. One other note, normally life's realities, like practicing safe sex, don't enter into the realm of a lot of adult fiction, it was very refreshing to see the open use of condoms.

We have a married man, Juan, drawn to the wife, Maria, of the couple who has moved in across the street. As they fight then dance and tease each other with their sexual attraction, they tell their thoughts and desires in the privacy of the church confessional, to Father Delgado. It all starts with a light, playful quality that subtly and cleverly changes as the tennis match continues and the sexual tension builds. Juan and Maria face the challenge of their obligations versus their acknowledged selfish needs, they know that it isn't right, hence their going to confession.
"She (Juan's wife) smiled gratefully at him, making him feel small."

Yet the powerful sexual attraction builds and tries to take over, what will win out?

It is like a seesaw or push-me-pull-you with Father Delgado as its humorous center.
"My son, you cannot absolve your sins before you commit them."

What I found interesting is how the author is able to make the priest's predicament not only humorous but also the conscience of the piece. You feel for his situation, which is made all the more difficult because he can't tell either of them or anyone else, without breaking the sanctity of the confessional. Father Delgado's discomfort and despair builds, as their attraction builds at a heated pace. Then the narrative takes a twist that I didn't see coming, forcing me to read on, even though the dogs implored me to take them outside. I had to look in those big brown, imploring eyes and beg them to give me just a bit more time. Thankfully they did so I could read on to the unexpected conclusion.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sinful Urges.

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt LOL. I don't normally comment on these, but OMG.. I started laughing so hard while reading this. "Then again how many terms or nicknames are there?" LOL. You are so right. It is hard to be creative there without becoming really offensive or weird.. I can come up with others, but more funny than sexy. LOL Maybe we should have a contest. I bet we get some funny results..

Dawn (& Ron) Wow, yes this is a surprise! I thought maybe my rating still wasn't showing up. Glad I made you laugh. I now get the knock on "purple prose" and the authors use of inventive descriptions, you cam only explain certain body parts in a limited number of ways. I don't think I would like those and may find myself laughing too much in the wrong places.

What no guilt over holding me up from taking my dogs outside? LOL

A contest would be funny, especially with some input from the the BR readers.

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt It may get us kicked off goodreads tho. A "naming the male or female anatomy" contest. Lol

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Tara wrote: "It may get us kicked off goodreads tho. A "naming the male or female anatomy" contest. Lol"

Nope. Vulgar words are something Goodreads doesn't do anything about, with the possible exception if they are at kids' books and there are many complaints. But for books such as this, I think the contest wouldn't be contested. ;-)

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt OMG. Let's do it. Okay. Male anatomy. Wanger! Lol

Dawn (& Ron) I was wondering about that too. Thanks for the info Lisa.

BTW, Lisa, I finally was able to load up the February image, hope you enjoy it!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Oh soooooooo cute! Off to view it in a larger size. Adorable!

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I'm on my own with the contest? LOL

I noticed the heart. Very cute.

Dawn (& Ron) Tara, you need to check out the bigger image and Lisa happens to the president of Spats's west coast fan club.

Did you want to start it here and now? I wasn't sure thought maybe you were going to organize things.

Lisa, Knew you would like it, my nieces made the original card for him a couple years ago and I just Photoshopped what Spats wanted it to say on it.

Dawn (& Ron) Tara wrote: "OMG. Let's do it. Okay. Male anatomy. Wanger! Lol"

I didn't even see this, oops. Okay - shaft and valleys. Covering both sexes there.

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I see the cat.

Dawn (& Ron) Okay, he kind of looks lost here on my screen. I don't think Lisa will mind me saying she is a bit smitten with this cat.

Speaking of cats, I did catch the dirty cat joke. The difference between men and children.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Spats is the best kitty for getting long distance cat fixes.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Just saw your last post, Dawn. I'm definitely smitten. Big time.

Dawn (& Ron) Lisa he is curled up right next to me, actually with his head resting on my Kindle. I'm glad you got your kitty fix, he is always glad to help.

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Lots of dirty humor. LOL I'm horrid.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Aw. Spats, I wish I could pet the furball. Surprised he's not ON your kindle blocking the screen from your eyes. ;-)

Lance Greenfield See, you are all talking about kitty, but not in the context of this competition. But that is a word that is used in Sinful Urges. I am going to take a bet that Dawn will be more careful about telling us that she is sitting there stroking her kitty now! Hee hee!

But then you can hardly say that your pussy is warm either, can you?!

Lance Greenfield Male: gonads, meat and two veg, prick, stiffy, rod, plums, stones, bits, privates, cock, piston, throbber, penis, testes, ankle-spanker, beaver-basher, chopper, dick, donger, manhood, knob, joystick, lingham, bob, love muscle, member, one-eyed trouser snake, percy, dragon, pecker, pork sword, shaft, schlong, thumper, todger, tool, wand, creamer, cream gun, balls, love pump.

Do I get a prize?

OK. The challenge is on ladies. How many words for your bits? I'll start you off with love tunnel!

Have fun!

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt LOL. LOL. Nappy dugout. Quim. Love cave. Love hut. Taco. (put your beef in my taco... lol) Vulva. P*ssy obviously. I know one other, but you all know it and it's considered offensive so I won't say it here.

Lance Greenfield Your quite right, Tara. You c@nt say that here!

message 22: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt LOL. OMG. This is so much fun. Most fun I've had in days..

Dawn (& Ron) The c**t word is considered derogatory at least here in the states, same with p**sy. Are they the same in the UK, Lance? In this conversation we will have to keep the kitty talk for the felines or things could really get dirty.

And, Lance there was some new ones there, lingham and bob, and so many that like Tara said just wouldn't work unless you were go for a satire erotica.

I'm coming up empty, just got home from a long day with my nieces, kind of hard to switch gears right now I guess. What I find funny are the euphemisms I see come up from the BR reads.

Lance Greenfield I'm glad we're putting some fun back in your life Tara.

Taco is so funny! I haven't heard that one before. Go on. You made it up yourself, didn't you?

message 25: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt No... my husband has said it to me quite a few times. LOL

message 26: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Hey Dawn, not trying to change the subject or nothing, but there's a free kindle book about Alfred Hitchcock today. I emailed you a link.

message 27: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Hey.. *snicker* HitchCOCK. LMAO

Lance Greenfield You both saw my little Hitchcock story, didn't you?

I feel terrible about saying little and HitchCOCK in the same sentence in the context of this conversation! Size isn't everything, girls! (Unless it's the wallet!)

message 29: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I disagree. Size does matter. I had a bumper sticker stating jusy that on my tool box at work. Lol

Lance Greenfield Ah well. I'll take consolation in that then. It's midnight, so I'll take my whopper upstairs to bed with me now!

message 31: by Lance (last edited Feb 04, 2012 04:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lance Greenfield More synonyms in the last two posts: "tool", "box" and "whopper".

message 32: by Dawn (& Ron) (last edited Feb 04, 2012 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (& Ron) Too bad you two aren't having any fun with this!

Thanks for letting me know about the movie books the last two days, I haven't checked my email yet today. Did you find these through the link you gave me a while back?

Total change of subject and knowing how much Tara loves Lucy. We just finished watching the episode with Superman. Superman asks Ricky "You've been married to her for 15 years?" to which Ricky says yes, and Superman responds "And they call me Superman!" Sorry, just had to share, it was too funny. Not dirty funny I admit but funny all the same.

Dawn (& Ron) Lance, I hope you have no difficulties dragging all that up the stairs!

message 34: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Omg. Lol. Throw it over your shoulder, Lance!

Dawn (& Ron) Tara, that's kind of what I was thinking too. What an image I had in my mind of him schlepping that burden up and down the stairs every single day. LOL

message 36: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Dawn, you have given me a terrific idea for a blog post/giveaway. I'm going to do a "name the anatomy" contest over on the BP blog. LOL Permission to quote you?

Dawn (& Ron) I was over at Amazon posting my review and getting that Hitchcock book.

That's fine, permission granted. Did I read that right that you are doing this at the publisher's blog? That's a great idea!

message 38: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Male anatomy: love lance. Couldn't resist. LOL.

Dawn (& Ron) Jenny, that's one I haven't seen and I can't help but laugh at that one. Glad you couldn't resist.

message 40: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Yep. I am going to do a post Thursday.. it quotes your review, that funny bit about words... and I'm hosting a contest. Whoever can come up with the funniest/most creative word for male or female anatomy gets an ecopy of Sinful Urges. My first and only giveaway for this one.

Dawn (& Ron) Please remind me so I can check it out. I imagine regular readers of romance and erotica will come up with some good ones. I did like Jemidar's above, it certainly sounds romance novel to me.

message 42: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I'll post the link. :) I owe you one. You gave me the idea. Any blog post I can do is promotion. Thanks.

message 43: by Dawn (& Ron) (last edited Feb 04, 2012 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (& Ron) No problem. I look forward to it! I'm getting ready to sign off for tonight, talk with you tomorrow, before the Superbowl.

message 44: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Yea. Cause once the game starts, it's all GO GIANTS!

Lance Greenfield Jemidar wrote: "Male anatomy: love lance. Couldn't resist. LOL."

I like that one! It has to ba a winner.

Will the love lance pierce the heroine's armour? I think we'll have to wait for Sonia's next book too find out.

message 46: by Lance (last edited Feb 05, 2012 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lance Greenfield Tara wrote: "Omg. Lol. Throw it over your shoulder, Lance!"

That reminds me of something my father told me about email spam. He said that if he replied to all the spam that came his way, and that the remedies worked, he'd hve breasts that trailed along the ground and a penis that he could wrap around his waist three times before tucking the end into his pants!

And when my Mum used to joke, as I made my way to the bathroom, "Don't forget to give it a good shake, Lance." I used to respond, "I usually tap it on my shoe."

message 47: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet This is a hoot! I have laughed so hard there were tears in my eyes. Thanks. I never knew there was so many different name for out body parts some I had heard off but some of the others I had not. What an education! LOL

Dawn (& Ron) Lance, off course you would love "love lance" but that's one of my favorites too. Your post was too funny, "tapped it on my shoe". LOL

Tara, well I'm going for New England staying with my family's old team. Our friend, that were going over to watch the game with is a huge Giants and Mets fan. He's the one from Puerto Rico. Also we are in a Super Bowl pool, it'd be nice to win some money too.

Lance Greenfield Do you know what? I am just going to have to get myself a T-shirt with this slogan on the front:

Love Lance

I wonder if I can find an appropriate image.....

Dawn (& Ron) You could always substitute a sword. If you do this you know you will have to post a pic of you in the t-shirt.

« previous 1 3