◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj 's Reviews > Tiger's Quest

Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck

Aug 22, 13

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-fell-hard-for, covers-to-die-for, own
Read from February 02 to 04, 2012, read count: 2

Review after re-reading from Aug 19th-22nd, 2013:
Okay, so after re-reading this I realized that the things I didn't like about it before were worse the second time around. Like the first third of the book really dragged on, Kelsey being annoying about "not being pretty", and the cheesy romance. I mean, I like the romance, but the beginning was very cheesy. The rest of the book was okay, but again, the info dump was too much.

But even though I expected all this, I still had sort of a hard time reading this book. I think this book is definitely my least favourite out of the rest in the series. This time around, I want to give it 3 stars, but I did like the turn of events that happens in the middle of the book, so I'm going to keep the 3.5

Onto the next one! Which just so happens to be my favourite one in the series. =D

Review after reading for the first time from Feb 2nd-4th, 2012:
What? WHAAAAAT?! NO! It...just...can't end like that! GAH!!! OHMYREN!

Ok. So. I can't decide if Tiger's Quest was better than Tiger's Curse or not. So I'm just gonna say that they were pretty much equal.

Beware! Do not read this if you haven't read Tiger's Curse! There will be some spoilers!

The Good
- It had a bit more excitement, because now we know all about the curse and can move on to learning even MORE about it. The prophecy is really intriguing, and I can't wait to see the end result.

- As usual, there was some great adventure. Colleen Houck has SUCH a creative mind!

- Many twists and shocks. Most of them were about a certain character, and man, I am just SPEECHLESS. Technically, this doesn't belong in "The Good" section because what happened was DEFINITELY not good, but it totally surprised me. I have no clue what will happen next.

The Bad
- The beginning, in my opinion, was USELESS. Completely unnecessary. It starts off with Kelsey going back home, entering college, and trying to live a normal life while pining away for Ren. Than she has not one, not two, but THREE guys vying for her attention. At first I thought "Ok, so the author wants us to see how she's handling being away from Ren and moving on, great, it'll probably last for about a chapter or something." But no. It continues on, and on, AND ON. I didn't care about these guys. I didn't care about what kinds of dates they took Kelsey on. I didn't even care who she liked more. All I cared about was the actual STORY to move forward. You know, the curse? The one Kelsey was trying to break? It was as if the author completely forgot about it. I just wanted Kelsey back with Ren and for the story to actually PROGRESS. Which didn't happen until after a about third of the way in. And even then, it took a while for the adventure to start. Which leads me to my second problem.

- Again, TOO MANY DETAILS. Kelsey travels to many places, and it was great that the author was showing us so many different cultures and places, but after a while, I got bored. Most of the things explained didn't even have anything to do with the curse. So I thought, "Why is all this even included?" Yes, it was very interesting, but it didn't help me learn much about the prophecy. In fact, I'm not even 100% sure if I even understand the prophecy because of all the information given out. I can't remember which ones are relevant and which ones aren't. It was a little overwhelming. The worst part was that we weren't SHOWN all these things, just TOLD. What I mean is, Kelsey would question something, and then Mr. Kadam would spend paragraphs explaining it. Isn't it much better when characters discover something, instead of just TELLING every single thing to the reader? Does this even make any sense? I hope so.

The In-Betweens
- I mentioned in my Tiger's Curse review that I didn't like the love triangle. I still don't. It just feels a little forced to me. But now, I don't mind it all that much. I couldn't see why Kishan liked Kelsey before, but now I can sort of see why. I even accept it now. Even though I still think that this series would be better with no love triangle. (And, oh gosh, DO NOT even ask me which "team" I'm on. I don't do that)

The Characters
- I liked Kelsey a lot more here. I didn't find her as annoying as before. She's a very smart and tough girl. The only thing I didn't like was how insecure she was. When she left Ren at the end of Tiger's Curse because she thought that she's "too plain" and can't believe why any guy would like her or think she's pretty just made me want to slap her. I really hate it when girls do that in a book. Yes, people are insecure from time to time, but Kelsey just does it way too much. And when THREE guys went after her, and she still couldn't accept the fact that she just might be slightly attractive, I almost put the book down. It's like the author is purposely trying to make Kelsey the type of girl who believes that she's not beautiful and will deny it, despite the fact that she has so many guys after her. Would it kill her to have some confidence? But really, overall, I like Kelsey. I can definitely see why so many guys would go ga-ga over her. If only she were able to see it too.

- I wasn't all too sure about Kishan before because I didn't really have a chance to get to know him, but it all changed in this book. I learned SO much about him. Wow. Him and Ren definitely have some common qualities, yet they are still very different. And can I mention how dreamy Kishan is? Flirty, teasing, but there for you no matter what. If you don't want him Kelsey, I'll happily take him.

- Oh man, Ren. Can you get any hotter? Although the beginning of this book dragged on, I just LOVED the moments with him and Kelsey. *sigh* Is it really impossible to find guys like him?

Recommended?
If you liked the first book, then yes. Definitely yes.

The ending was heartbreaking. I don't even know what to feel. But I do have a bad feeling about whats to come, concerning the love-triangle. I literally sat on my bed for 10 minutes, thinking about what happened and refusing to believe it. PLEASE tell me it gets fixed. PLEASE! I don't think my heart could take it if it doesn't.

3.5/5
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger's Quest.

Quotes ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj Liked

Colleen Houck
“I decided to find you, throw myself at your feet, and beg you to have mercy on me. Honestly, I’ll accept whatever you choose, Kelsey. Just don’t ask me to live apart from you again. Because...I can’t.”

Colleen Houck
“There are many different types of kisses. There’s a passionate kiss of farewell—like the kind Rhett gave Scarlett when he went off to war. The kiss of I-can’t-really-be-with-you-but-I-want-to-be—like with Superman and Lois Lane. There’s the first kiss—one that is gentle and hesitant, warm and vulnerable. And then there’s the kiss of possession—which was how Ren kissed me now.
It went beyond passion, beyond desire. His kiss was full of longing, need, and love, like all those other kisses. But, it was also filled with promises and pledges, some of which seemed sweet and tender while others seemed dangerous and exciting. He was taking me over. Staking a claim.
He seized me as boldly as the tiger captured his prey. There was no escape. And I didn’t want to. I would have happily died in his clutches. I was his. And he made sure I knew it. My heart burst with a thousand beautiful blooms, all tiger lilies. And I knew with a certainty more powerful than anything I’d ever felt before that we belonged together. ”

Colleen Houck
“I once told Ren our story wasn't over.
And it's not.
Not yet.”

Colleen Houck
“I find that all people are fundamentally alike. We are one human family. Perhaps we have different clothes, our skin is of a different color, or we speak various languages, but that is on the surface only. We all have dreams and seek for things that will bring true happiness. To know all the world, I just need to learn about myself.”

Colleen Houck
“I was just slipping my pajama top over my head when I heard Ren bellow, “YOU ate ALL of my peanut . . . butter . . . COOKIES?”

02/02/2012 page 1
0.0% "OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH I'm so friggin' excited to read this. GAAAH"
02/02/2012 page 108
23.0% "Finally, Kelsey! I was so sick of the whole "he-doesn't-deserve-me-because-I'm-too-plain" act. I get so annoyed when a girl does that in a book."
02/04/2012 page 340
71.0% 2 comments
08/19/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/22/2013 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i love this series

Holli Get to Voyage!

message 3: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Feb 06, 2012 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj LOL I am, I am! But I have all these library books to get through first =(

Holli I did that late last year, and I kept checking out so many library books that I never got to my own! LOL I gave it a rest for awhile. Too many to get through. Then I'll hit up the Library again! ;)

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Same here! Since I don't buy many books and instead get them from the Library, I put off reading the ones I bought. But yeah, I'll definitely get my hands on Voyage by the end of this month no matter what!

Holli Happy Reading! :)