Bhaskar Bhagyawardhan's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Feb 11, 12

Recommended for: every reader who regards books as a source of understanding life.
Read from February 09 to 11, 2012

So 29,000 people on goodreads didn't like the great gatsby and bestowed one-star ratings upon it. This obviously angers me but I shall totally abstain from getting sentimental and debating melodramatically o'er "how can someone hate this book". Because I know most of them didn't read it by choice. They teach it over there in american high schools. These people read it at a point in their lives when they couldn't have connected at all with "what the hell" was going on in the book. Gatsby entered their lives at the wrong time. He was thrust upon them.

When I finished reading it at 4:30 last morning, I realized, like generations of readers already have, why the great gatsby is regarded as one of the greatest books of all time.
How I wish I had the privilege of reading this in my school days and writing papers on it.(Our school made us read pride and prejudice instead here in india.)

So coming to the point, why did they decide that this book should be a part of the curriculum in the high schools of america? because the great gatsby is an invaluable account of the mindset of the rich and the glamorous of new york city in those times. And today the situation has only intensified. not just in new york city, but in almost every city where materialism answers to the desires of men. many wealthy people wear the cloak of sophistication to conceal their shallow thoughts. fitzgerald depicted this with exceptional literary finesse in the great gatsby. That is why it is a classic. not just an american classic, but a universal classic. Most people read for pleasure. Chances are that majority of them will dislike gatsby. But for almost every reader who regards books as a source of understanding life, gatsby will stay in his "good books" forever.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Quotes Bhaskar Liked

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

02/10/2012 page 2
1.0% ""Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope.""
show 2 hidden updates…