Amy's Reviews > White Heart

White Heart by Sherry Jones

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: ebook-galley, historical-fiction, france, 13th-century, on-my-kindle, read-in-2012
Read from March 30 to April 01, 2012 — I own a copy

After the death of her husband, King Louis VIII of France, Blanche of Castille is distraught by grief over the loss of her love, but knows she must remain strong and prepare for the battle that’s to come to retain control of the crown for her young son. Against the odds and a multitude of enemies, both home and abroad, who have no intention of being ruled by a women or a young boy, Blanche prevails over her foes by relying on her courage, strength, passion and cunning. She truly exudes the traits of her grandmother, Eleanor of Aquitaine!

A concise 40 page ebook, White Heart effectively portrays a vital time in France’s history and Blanche’s life, as well as, sets the stage for the story of her son Louis IX and his wife Marguerite who are featured in Four Sisters, All Queens. I found it to be very well-written and thought that Jones did a fabulous job of bringing the character of Blanche to life, especially given the short length that she had to accomplish it. I can never get enough of reading about powerful women who triumph over the men who seek to control and dominate her and Blanche definitely is one of those. Her bravery and pluck is something to be inspired by!

White Heart is the perfect precursor to Sherry’s novel Four Sisters, All Queens and I highly recommend it!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Heart.