Samantha's Reviews > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: 11th-grade-advisory
Read in January, 2012

We follow the life and struggles of Franny Nolan, a young girl born at the beginning of the 20th century, as she experiences things and views the world from her own perspective. Living in a poor area in Brooklyn, she believes that the only place she could ever imagine herself was in her snug little neighborhood. As she grows up, she learns more about the life she lives and discovers how she wants to escape from it all. It’s a good coming-of-age tale that, although it doesn’t directly relate to us, we can all relate to it in some way.

It was interesting to see how Franny experienced things during that time period. I always love books that are set in older times, as it’s my indirect way of seeing how people lived in the past. I’m very fond of historically set books, and this one was pretty good. I could also relate to Franny when she felt that her neighborhood (and Brooklyn as a whole) was somehow magical. I feel every child has thought that before, and, in reality, each neighborhood does contain some “magic”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.