Lisa Wolf's Reviews > Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: ghosts-graves-and-hauntings, young-adult
Read from January 29 to February 01, 2012

17-year-old Cas (short for Theseus Cassio, of all things) is a ghostbuster, although he’d really prefer that you not call him that. Armed with the magical knife inherited from his deceased father, Cas travels the country hunting down killer ghosts and sending them on from this world. Basically, he kills things that are already dead, but who am I to quibble?

Cas is fascinated by the case of Anna Dressed In Blood, a particularly bloodthirsty specter inhabiting a creepy old house in a Canadian town. Wouldn’t you know it – she’s just misunderstood! Poor Anna doesn’t want to be an evil killer. What follows is a typical boys meets girl, boy gets girl, boy breaks a curse upon the girl story. In the world of supernatural YA fiction, of course the main character falls in love with a non-human.

There’s really nothing particularly special or worthwhile about this story. The main character doesn’t stand out in any way, and neither does Anna. The supporting characters are all fairly standard as well. As is the trend in YA fiction, particularly fiction focused on the supernatural, Anna Dressed In Blood is the first in a series, although I can’t imagine where this story has left to go or what the point of continuing it would be (other than lining the pockets of the publishing company).

One other irritating factor: The typeface in the book is a rusty red color (which I assume is meant to look like dried blood). I’ve seen this recently in a few other YA novels, most notably in the Wolf series by Maggie Stiefvater, where the print color changed from book to book in order to coordinate with the cover graphics. I’m sure the publishers are trying to be hip and creative, but I simply found it annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Dressed in Blood.