Arn Howald's Reviews > The Blade Itself

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Aug 09, 08

Read in August, 2008

The book gets better the longer you stick with it. It starts off fairly loose and disparate, with far-flung characters (who run the gamut from disreputable-unlikeable-downright horrible) who seem to have only tenuous relationships with each other, if at all. Although there's plenty of action throughout the book, it doesn't seem to go anywhere. It's only about two-thirds of the way through that the story seems to coalesce, but once it does...Oh Boy, does it ever take off! Of course, the books ends in a heartbeat after that. But that's OK, I've got volume 2 sitting on my bookshelf, so I'll get to continue the story.
Considering that it is a trilogy, I suppose that an extended introduction of all the many many characters isn't a serious flaw. But I've read plenty of other series and trilogies that didn't take anywhere near as long to get off the ground. But now that I'm hooked, I'm looking forward to more adventures with Logen Ninefingers, Superior Glokta, Major West and the Named Men and all the others here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blade Itself.