Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

3920693
Nov 20, 13

Read from January 25 to February 08, 2012

This review, along with many of my others, can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.

Wrist-spraining goodness. Just about as good as it gets. The fiftieth anniversary of the assassination is this week. It's a good time to think about the might-have-beens of history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

01/25/2012 "If anyone should want to speak to me, sorry you can't unless you have my phone number. I am turning off the 'puter and immersing myself in what might have been but wasn't. And may I say *squeeeee*"
01/25/2012 "OMFG end ch.2 "And I wanted another root beer." King, you are king-emperor and god. Politicians came through, yay me, now I need the check."
01/27/2012 "If you can read Part 2 of this book without white knuckles and tears streaming down your face, I do not want to know you anymore."
01/27/2012 "What's this dumb "% done" thing? How would I know, do I look like a calculator? King's *killin* me here. How anyone can sleep when there's a King novel around I do not know."
01/27/2012 "Emmylou Harris singing "Goodbye" + a death scene = serious catharsis."
01/28/2012 "I'm not reading while our houseguest is here...and it's KILLIN' ME."
01/30/2012 "Only 50 more pp read. Still loving it."
02/07/2012 "Home stretch...so wonderful...hate to see it end, can't wait to see how it ends, oh heck I'm all sgangerata."
02/07/2012 ""For a moment, everything was clear, and when that happens you see that the world is barely there at all...It's a perfectly balanced mechanism of shouts and echoes pretending to be wheels and cogs, a dreamclock chiming beneath a mystery-glass we call life.""
02/08/2012
100.0% "Oh damn. I've finished. Now to ponder over a review."

Comments (showing 5-54)

Meg ♥ How far are ya, Richard? :-)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways p603 and eagerly dreading the ending

Meg ♥ Richard wrote: "p603 and eagerly dreading the ending"

=) Okay! I am eagerly waiting to see what you think!

Elizabeth I'm just starting it today! Looking forward to it.

Meg ♥ Elizabeth wrote: "I'm just starting it today! Looking forward to it."

Hope you like it, Elizabeth. I really enjoyed it. :-)

Elizabeth 700 pages in and I'm hooked, Meg :)

message 48: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Thompson Great review, Richard! Really looking forward to this one!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thank you kindly, Lee, and I hope you're as knocked out as I was by the sheer chutzpah of King's storytelling decisions.

message 46: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Yes....this review was everything I was expecting, Chuckles the Wee Wee bashing included, (*barely audible boo*)...and much more. Excellent, well done...all too inadequate. I'll just say that Mr. King would be proud to read this.

message 45: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Thompson Thanks, Richard. I'm sure I'll love it!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Stephen wrote: "Yes....this review was everything I was expecting, Chuckles the Wee Wee bashing included, (*barely audible boo*)...and much more. Excellent, well done...all too inadequate. I'll just say that Mr. King would be proud to read this."

You flatter me! I was so up in the air over this review, I had four written and I couldn't decide if I wanted to be flip or serious or maudlin or what. So I threw 'em all away and started typing. I'm just pleased it makes some sense!

message 43: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Great review. I'm not a huge King fan, and given my nationality and age the whole Kennedy thing is kind of mysterious to me, but this certainly makes the book a compelling possibility.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Dulac3 wrote: "Great review. I'm not a huge King fan, and given my nationality and age the whole Kennedy thing is kind of mysterious to me, but this certainly makes the book a compelling possibility."

I can see the Kennedy plot being mysterious to you, D3, but the pace of the story isn't dependent on Kennedy so much as on the character's insistence on saving him. Accepting his determination and running with it is the key, actually I suppose to any thriller.

There are several moments that gave me a generational thrill that will skate right past you, I'm sure, but those are grace notes and have little to do with the momentum of the plot.

All that said, at $40 in Cdn, I'd say get it from the liberry one fine day, and don't sprain anything running out to do it.

Karen French I like your review of this book Stephen. You said it all.

Meg ♥ Excellent review, Richard. I thought this review was hard to write, because I felt whatever I could say wouldn't do it justice. You nailed it! :-)

message 39: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Very nice review! I've heard so many good things about this book, and you really sold it. I enjoyed your comparison of King to Dickens, very astute.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Karen wrote: "I like your review of this book Stephen. You said it all."

Thank you, Mildred!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Meg ♥ wrote: "Excellent review, Richard. I thought this review was hard to write, because I felt whatever I could say wouldn't do it justice. You nailed it! :-)"

I appreciate that, Meg...I was so sad when it was over, and that's always a sign of a good book to me.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways s.penkevich wrote: "Very nice review! I've heard so many good things about this book, and you really sold it. I enjoyed your comparison of King to Dickens, very astute."

I can't think of any better, or even equal, candidate. His talent is undeniable, and his gift for the mechanics of storytelling is tremendous.

I'm glad you liked the review!

message 35: by Ian (last edited Feb 10, 2012 12:34PM) (new)

Ian Paganus Richard wrote: "folks are mostly interested in their own miseries"

I initially misread this as "miniseries" and thought you were referring to the Kardashians!

Oh, and great review, I'm wondering whether I should read my first King.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways If it's your first, Ian, I'd say this should be the one. Your august sensibilities and tastes are less likely to feel they've been hoi polloi'd with this book than others of his ouevre.

And there's a love story.

message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian Paganus Richard wrote: "If it's your first, Ian, I'd say this should be the one. Your august sensibilities and tastes are less likely to feel they've been hoi polloi'd with this book than others of his ouevre.

And there's a love story."

Ah, that got me.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thought it might....

message 31: by Mark (new)

Mark excellent review so smiles, smiles, smiles but then a little flicker of sad flashes across as poor charlie boy is lambasted in his anniversary year. Have you no heart !! Seriously though this sounds fascinating

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It is fascinating, and it's a tremendous improvement over the love story angles I've seen in King's other works. I was completely invested in this love story, and I don't give the ass of a rat about straight people love stories usually.

As for Chuckles the Dick, I don't care if it's his Assumption into Heaven Day, the man's prose is awful and his stories are tedious. So there nyah.

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark I shall send Simon Callow round to bore you rigid with his admittedly horrendously fruity readings of each of Chas' most portentous chapters. that'll teach you

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I can think of some ways to distract Simon. I won't have to listen to that pommy drivel for long!

message 27: by Mark (new)

Mark cheeky

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It's my M.O. in life.

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark Good for you. And actually, thinking about it, if you could so distract Callow that he won't write any more books or grease his pretentious talent across the airwaves I would be enormously grateful

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I didn't say I *wanted* to, just that I *would* in order to avoid any Dickensian pollution of my ear and eye cavities. I ain't fallin' on the grenade just because, no sirree bob, I ain't.

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark oh; spoilsport

message 22: by Petra X (new)

Petra X Dickens isn't my cup of tea, and King... his films are ok, but his books I can't get into.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Petra X wrote: "Dickens isn't my cup of tea, and King... his films are ok, but his books I can't get into."

This is the one I'd encourage you to try, that being the case, as it's a very different feel from most other King novels I've read. If it's conveniently available at a library, I'd say it would pay you back to read ~100pp and see what you think before skipping it entirely.

message 20: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I have a bookshop so please only whisper the word 'library'. (Just joking).

message 18: by Petra X (new)

Petra X Aggggggghhhhh

message 17: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Jake Epping is a modestly successful high-school English teacher Spanish teacher with a bad, broken marriage to an alcoholic behind him, a future of great sameness before him, and a date with destiny Glee Club that cannot be foreseen. He is, in short, you, or me, or Will Schuster or any other Stephen King hero.

message 16: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Sorry, i don't know what is wrong with me this morning.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways LOL
ROFLMAO

*snickers to self at irritating snobby Monkey with textspeak*

Arah-Lynda My, my Richard another excellent review. I took the trip to 11/22/63 and loved it. Great to see that you did as well.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thanks, Arah-Lynda!

message 12: by Henry (last edited Apr 11, 2013 05:10PM) (new)

Henry Avila Excellent review,Richard.I have to go and finish Zola's Nana.

message 11: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield Read your review on your blog, Richard. I love it! A really good review, which makes me want to read this book, but I always delay nosing into such thick tomes. If only it were half the size!

I am such a chicken, aren't I?!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thanks, Lance! I'd say you were less chicken than protective of your wrists and elbows. It's a major sprainer.

Matt I love this book. Thanks for your personal review!

One little caveat: You might want to change the Pope's name from Julius to Gregor XIII, because he was the one who gave us the calendar back in 1582.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thanks, Matt! Actually, I put the Julius reference in deliberately, to point up the mutable, subjective nature of time, but you're the first one to say anything about it.

Kathy I thought this was one of his better books.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Kathy wrote: "I thought this was one of his better books."

I like his books in general, but this one is on a different level, closer to The Shining than to,say, Under the Dome.

Kathy Agree!