Andre's Reviews > The Classroom and the Cell: Conversations on Black Life in America

The Classroom and the Cell by Mumia Abu-Jamal

Jan 25, 2012

This is like sitting with Mumia and having a conversation about various issues concerning Black life in America. The book flows very easily and is a fast read. Mumia is well known and thoroughly conversant with today's issues despite being on death row for over 20 years. The dialogue he is having with Professor Marc Hill is an important one, and we get a glimpse of each persons intellect and bits of their personal lives. They are mostly in agreement on the various subjects but there are areas of disagreement. I think those areas make for the livest parts of the book, because you get a deeper understanding of the position one is taking, when there is a spirited give and take.

The chapters are broken down into different subject matters like; Reimagining Race in the Era of Obama, Black Leadership: A Continuing Crisis?, and Black Life in the Age of Incarceration. Each of the chapters serves as the basis of the conversation for that particular part of the book. And one of the great things about the book is that each chapter ends with a "For Your library" section. So if you want to follow up on some of the books or ideas mentioned there are a list of suggested books. I think this format works well for this type of book.

I would reccomennd it for young and old. The conversations will certainly make you think about where you stand on some of these issues and may provoke you to start your own dialogue with those in and around your circle. So from that point alone this book is well worth your time and investment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Classroom and the Cell.