Cassy's Reviews > Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out

Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out by Pandora Poikilos

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: least-favorites, books-in-2012
Read from January 25 to February 08, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I really should have known this book wasn't going to be good when I had figured out the big "surprise" by page three. When I originally downloaded this book I thought I was going to get this really heart-wrenching story about a woman dealing with her brain disease. Instead, I got a woman giving her condescending thoughts to the world.

Really,I didn't have THAT much of a problem with it at first. Anya is diagnosed with a brain disease. So, she starts writing letters to her dad about all the things she can't stand about the world.

Now, some of them are perfectly valid. The boyfriend who cheats on you or the significant other who abuses you or how because you have a incurable disease, you're treated different including losing your job over and over, being betrayed by "friends" and having people spread misconceptions about you. There's even one point where she mentions that she has a hard time showing sympathy for people who complain about headaches because of the excrutiating pain she suffers from her brain condition (something I really related to because I constantly suffer from severe, crippling migraines. I can't stand when people complain of their pansy headaches and THEN refuse to even take any medicine.)

But then she complains about things that really just seem like her, well, complaining and not imparting any sort of words of wisdom on anyone. Like one story is about how people should be controlling their kids in public. Honestly? You don't know the situation or what's happen and she basically takes on this idea that there should be no kids at all in public places. She also talks about the person who sits there and tells you about all this advice they have for you and how you could be doing things better, which I think is just an ironic thing to talk about because, for all intents and purposes, that's exactly what's going on in this book.

The other HUGE thing that annoyed me was that the big surprise for this book was that the father that Anya was writing to the whole book was not alive. He had died when she was three. Well, guess what? I wasn't surprised. I had figured it out in about the second letter that she had written to her dad and the more she wrote, the more painfully obvious it became that he was no longer living.

The only thing that kind of surprised me was that, in the end, Anya died but I came to dislike her so much that I didn't really care. And the other thing is that I don't really know what caused her death. Did she die of old age, her disease, what? When I find out she's dead I kind of don't care and I have no emotional response to it.

The other thing I have a huge problem with is that Anya tells us that she lost her father when she was three. Three! I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I remember very little from when I was three years old. I have a hard time believing that she had this crazy strong relationship with her father that she only knew for three years!

Overall, I was not impressed. I thought I was going to see a woman dealing with her disease, dealing with how her life was changing around her. Instead I got a woman bitching about all the things in life that she didn't like.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out.

01/25/2012
33.0% "So, I'm FAIRLY certain she's writing letters to her dead father. Not 100% but like... 99%. And what annoys me is how OBVIOUS it is. I mean, I figured it by like, letter two, yet she continues to pretend that he's not dead. Walk Two Moons did it better. Go read that, then come back and try again."
01/25/2012