Bennett Gavrish's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

Jan 25, 12

Read from January 06 to 10, 2012

Grade: A-

L/C Ratio: 50/50
(This means I estimate the author devoted 50% of his effort to creating a literary work of art and 50% of his effort to creating a commercial bestseller.)

Thematic Breakdown:
50% - Epic literary fantasy
30% - Detective mystery
20% - Satire of the publishing industry

As a rule, I do not dabble in book series. This is partly because they tend to exist most often in the fantasy genre (not my preferred reading area), and partly because I am afraid to get caught up in a series and not have time to get to other books I want to read.

I broke my rule by putting One of Our Thursdays Is Missing on my Kindle. I even jumped right into it without reading any of the earlier books in the series (gosh, I’m such a literary daredevil). I couldn’t help myself. Jasper Fforde’s Shades of Grey (not part of the Thursday Next series) blew my mind when I read it last year, and I was craving more of his creative genius.

If you consider yourself a book geek, add One of Our Thursdays Is Missing to your reading list right now (or be smart and actually start at the beginning of the series with The Eyre Affair).

What Fforde has done is created BookWorld – a place inhabited by every piece of fiction ever written. Characters exist as citizens in BookWorld, performing their literary roles whenever someone in the real world is reading their book, and interacting with each other in their downtime. Fforde explains it better than I can, so I’ll just shut up and tell you to check out his map of BookWorld to see how the genre-states are divided.

The setting kept me incredibly intrigued, but One of Our Thursdays Is Missing also features a solid detective mystery plot to keep things moving. What sealed the deal for me was Fforde’s wittiness – his frequent jabs at the book industry and his fellow authors produced chuckles throughout.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.