Kristen (Peddler of Smut)'s Reviews > Blood Bound

Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent

4 stars

Wow! What an emotional adrenalin rush and exhausting read this book turned out to be!

Blood Bound is a fast-paced, well written, creative, action packed, emotional, and highly engrossing book. I had a hard time putting it down.

I'm not going to recap the story's plot, since the synopsis of the book does a decent job; however, I will tell you what worked and didn't work for me.

What I loved about Blood Bound was the paranormal world Rachel Vincent created. It was well developed, fast-paced, intriguing, and easy to understand. The cast of characters were fascinating, flawed, and authentic. I was easily drawn into their complex world.

Now for what bothered me. While it's true the author excelled in creating an intriguing and developed world, I felt there was little to no emotional response from the characters as they dealt with the consequences of past decisions that ultimately had catastrophic ramifications. Consequently, I felt I was the only one experiencing what should have been their emotions; therefore, it became difficult, and frankly frustrating, to understand and connect with them.

While the ending was clever and whets the reader's appetite for the next book (due out this summer), I, personally, prefer endings that are wrapped up in a nice, neat bow, which this book did not deliver! That being said, I truly enjoyed reading this story and highly recommend it.

16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Bound.

01/25/2012
15.0% "I downloaded a sample of this book to see if I'd like it before buying it and was instantly drawn into the story. I'm not a huge fan of Urban fantasy (I like lots and lots of romance) but this book is beyond captivating. Wow! Just Wow!"
01/25/2012
23.0% "Oh no no no no! This is an emotional roller-coaster ride already." 6 comments
01/25/2012
30.0% "Dumb, dumb, dumb! Liv, you ding dong, you should have told Cam right from the start what Elle told you. This self sacrificing crap h/h do ALWAY make thing worse in the end!"
01/25/2012
40.0% "Huh. So many reviewers have gushed over the hero in this story. After finding out what he did the night Liv didn't tell him what she learned, I'm not that impressed with him either. This is one incredible story but I really can't figure out why they felt they were (and still are) so in love with each other."
01/25/2012
53.0% "Oh Cam, you just said one of the best lines I've ever read to get a girl to have sex with you!" 12 comments
01/26/2012
64.0% "Good grief! This book keeps playing with my emotions! I'm trying to remember the last time a book took me on such a roller-coaster ride. I love the characters. Then I hate the characters. Then I love the characters again. It's exhausting but exhilarating."
01/26/2012
85.0% "Huh. I'd be a lot more upset than Liv seems to be if I learned one of my BFF manipulated and ruined my life for her own selfish reasons. I get why she was worried but what gave her the right to do what she did?! And everyone seems okay with it. I just don't get it." 1 comment
01/26/2012
97.0% "Oh no! I think Liv just made a huge mistake. Eek."
100.0% "OMG! That is the ending?! I'm literally flabbergasted." 3 comments

Comments (showing 1-26)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 26: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I love a book that drains me, makes me feel alive!! Looking forward to your review Kristan.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Mary Elizabeth wrote: "interesting review K :) I may have to read this !!"

I think you'll like the book, Mary Elizabeth. It's an emotional roller-coaster ride, that's for sure!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wow, you're still up? What time is it over there, Kristen?

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Kristen! Wow, that's interesting that you were feeling lots of emotions and yet you felt the characters were detached. That would be a problem for me, too. Have you read any other Rachel Vincent, Kristen? I've had some people recommend her books to me.

Lady Jaye Yeah, speaking of which, you're so right. i don't know why they (at least Liv) (view spoiler) it was beyond selfish and horrible. I don't know why people think putting a child in the picture suddenly excuses everything. :/

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Baba wrote: "Wow, you're still up? What time is it over there, Kristen?"

Haha. I think I must have gone to sleep when you wrote this. I think it was around 1am. It's Saturday and I was able to sleep in this morning. Yaay!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, Kristen! Wow, that's interesting that you were feeling lots of emotions and yet you felt the characters were detached. That would be a problem for me, too. Have you read any other Rac..."

It's a great book and they did express emotions just not over the major things they should have, if that makes sense. It was weird. It's like the author didn't have the time to spend with those emotions, so she glossed over them and it felt like the characters really had no major reaction to the things that destroyed their lives. It was frustrating. That being said, I still loved the book. I guess that says a lot about the author's ability to write a dang good story!

message 17: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Jan 28, 2012 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Jaye wrote: "Yeah, speaking of which, you're so right. i don't know why they (at least Liv) [spoilers removed] it was beyond selfish and horrible. I don't know why people think putting a child in the picture su..."

Exactly!!! (view spoiler)

Lady Jaye Mebbe they are all suffering from PTSD, given their world and their lives. That's the only reason to explain their non-response.

message 15: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Jan 28, 2012 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Jaye wrote: "Mebbe they are all suffering from PTSD, given their world and their lives. That's the only reason to explain their non-response."

That must be it! LOL. As much as that annoyed me, I still really loved the book. Did you notice the next book isn't even about Liv and Cal? It's about Kori. I hope we find out what happened to them. There is no doubt in my mind she signed. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lady Jaye (last edited Jan 28, 2012 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jaye Lol I wish I could like all your comments bcos I agreed with them. I might plagiarize you and stick them into my review.

RV says a lot is going on for Kori, so I am worried we mightn't see to much of Liv and Cal (which sucks, cos their ending wasn't good enough). And then The final book is Oath Bound and it's a new set of characters so we might be left cursing RV for her characters and still reading on voraciously, LOL!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Jaye wrote: "Lol I wish I could like all your comments bcos I agreed with them. I might plagiarize you and stick them into my review.

RV says a lot is going on for Kori, so I am worried we mightn't see to muc..."

I really will be upset if we don't find out what happens to Cal and Liv. I think I'll read people reviews before I buy the book because if we're left with another cliffhanger with no resolution for Cal's and Liv's characters (which I could see happening) I'm not going to waste my time reading the second book.

Lady Jaye Hmm...well, unless RV decides to jump 8 or 9 years into the future, we know Cal and Liv will be miserable.

Altho I just had a thought. What Noelle did made her life a self-fulfilling prophecy, ugh! If she was so smart to see into the future and orchestrate this nonsense, you'd think she'd be smart enough to change that future by NOT being the sidechick of an abusive, cruel, sadistic, mob boss. SMH)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Jaye wrote: "Hmm...well, unless RV decides to jump 8 or 9 years into the future, we know Cal and Liv will be miserable.

Great point!

message 10: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Kristen. Looks like you got your paranormal fix and with a good book too!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Karla wrote: "Great review Kristen. Looks like you got your paranormal fix and with a good book too!"

Yep. I'm more than ready to return to KA world. :D

message 8: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I know it's soooo hard to stay away!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance I've come across a few books by this author but never read them because from what I hear, there's no romance. Was there romance in this one? You review is great, by the way. Another book I want to read, unless it doesn't have romance in it.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I've come across a few books by this author but never read them because from what I hear, there's no romance. Was there romance in this one? You review is great, by the way. Another book I want to ..."
Thanks Taryn. Yes and no. The book is centered on a couple but I wouldn't say it's heavy on romance. There is one sex scene but it's pretty mild. I don't like books that aren't romance centered but this one held my interest. The hero and heroine are completely in love with each other and spend most of the book together, but their relationship focuses more on the events happening around them, than on their romance. Hope that helps.

Taryn at My Secret Romance It does. Thank you!

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Great review Kristen. Just don't know whether I should start this series or not. Hmmm...

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jill wrote: "Great review Kristen. Just don't know whether I should start this series or not. Hmmm..."

Thanks Jill. If you choose to start the series, I'd wait until summer to start. The second book won't be out until then and this book ends with a cliffhanger.

Lady Jaye OMG, have you read book 2?

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Jaye wrote: "OMG, have you read book 2?"

I didn't know it was out. Is it good? Please tell me it didn't end with another cliffhanger.