Melliane's Reviews > A Sliver of Shadow

Feb 11, 12

Read from January 25 to February 11, 2012

Mon avis en français

My English review

Here we are again for a new adventure of Abby Sinclair, an amazing woman. I really enjoyed the first book and I was very curious to get into this story. I can say I’m more than happy now, because I think this volume was even better than the first one. Of course, we can find all the characters from the first book, and it was a real pleasure. Phin is always here, always the same, and as much annoying as interesting. (Well, I confess, a lot annoying lol).

We hadn't learned a lot of information about the other world, but it was quite intriguing and I wished I could learn more about it. And finally my wish has been granted, and even more. It’s really pleasant to discover this new world we don’t know anything about. It’s complete, well structured and full of creatures we’ve never met yet. It’s nice to understand some ramifications in this universe, to know how these different kinds of populations are ruled. Some new characters are introduced to us, some important for the story and even for the next books (or I hope so because I’m very curious about them). We can also learn a lot of information about our heroine, about her life, things we couldn’t have wondered but which were a great idea.

Abby manages to have so many problems in so little time, it was unexpected, poor Abby. Because, yes, I think it’s the most unlucky girl sometimes but I confess in her misfortune she has some wonderful allies. Who wouldn’t want to have the sexy Brystion or the sublime Talivar? Because I would love to be in her shoes, just for that! Her relationships are complicated with all these persons and we wonder what will finally happen, but of course, nothing is simple and I think the choice would be very difficult at the end.

This new book mixes action, love, battles and even complots. We have a lot of questions about all the characters and we doubt about them too. The story is presented all along the important events which allow us to have a fast rhythm. The reader is totally immerged in the story and we hope we could perceive the end of the novel. The book is predictable for some little points but most of the elements are a big surprise and we therefore discover them with pleasure. I wondered until the last pages how Allison Pang could finish the story after all these events and I confess I didn’t expect that. Not at all! It's an amazing end for some characters, a bad one for others but it's one that opens a lot of new possibilities for the third novel. Indeed, this end is a terrible cliffhanger, and now I just want one thing, read the next one to know what will happen.

The rhythm is fluid and the story very interesting. If you enjoyed the first book, it’s more than probable you’ll love this one. I would like to thank Allison pang who gives me the opportunity to read this ARC, because I really loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sliver of Shadow.

01/25/2012 page 17