Lara's Reviews > Too Damn Famous

Jan 25, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012
Read in January, 2012

OK,I would never have chosen this, but I was looking after a poorly relative and had read all the cereal packets a dozen times, and in desperation found this on a bookshelf. And shouldn't the title have been 'Too damned famous'? I was expecting a lot better, Joan seems to be a humorous, been-round-the-block sort of woman, and I was expecting to get a view of what it was really like to be a celebrated TV star in the 80's. What Joan delivers is a 'B' movie version of a totally selfish and deluded Diva.

The point of view veers wildely - for instance:
Cook: 'Miss Bennett, I'm so sorry, my husband has just abandoned me and dinner will be 15 minutes late as a result'.
Miss Bennett: My god, servants are so stressful, don't I have enough to deal with, what with looking beautiful and having to get up for work and choosing what to have for dinner. This is very inconvenient, cook, make dinner 5 minutes late'.
'Yes mam', thinks Cook, wow that woman is so beautiful and thoughtful, I love her so much.

OK, so I'm paraphrasing and improving the dialogue, but you get the gist.

Joan had the opportunity to reveal what being an 80's star was really like from the inside. Instead she delivers a melodrama of a self-regarding woman that you are astounded at that only one character was trying to kill her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Damn Famous.