ExLibris_Kate's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: alamw
Read from March 23 to 26, 2012

Starters begins as a lot of dystopians do, with an introduction to some kids who have survived a war and are left to fend for themselves. Callie feel responsible for her sick brother and decides to take a big chance and rent her body to an "Ender" (old person). In this world, people live much longer and a virus has killed off all but the very young and very old. This was an interesting aspect of the story, because unless you have an older relative to claim you, you are an unregistered minor with no rights. As a result of the upsetting of the social structure, new and sometimes dangerous groups emerged. The world that Callie lives in is unbalanced and harsh, but her love for her brother and her friend is the driving force behind her decision to work with Prime Destinations. All of the details and descriptions of this harsh new society helped to create a place that was familiar, but much more dangerous than the world we live in.

The feel of this book was simultaneously current and futuristic. The remains of a society ravaged by biological warfare and the subsequent dismantling of the social order we know now was very real and lent a certain eeriness to the story. On the other hand, the idea that embedded microchips can allow you in inhabit another body was deliciously sci-fi. I loved the La Femme Nikita feel to this book with Callie being an unwilling assassin, coming in and out of consciousness in her own body, wondering what horrors she performed while her renter took over. It was a great combination of sci-fi, action and dystopia and once I started reading it, I didn't want to stop!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.