Jeni's Reviews > Lie

Jan 25, 12

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

An interesting story delving into racism, subtle evilness (that becomes decidedly un-subtle), peer-pressure, family ties and many other things.

Told in 10 different voices, the story is short, yet nearly too big. Several people sound the same and I sometimes got confused as to who was telling the story. I also found several parts difficult to read because I found them to be so unbelievable. Yes, I do think kids do stupid things without thinking, and yes, I do think those things sometimes spiral out of control and yes, I do think sometimes parents might even do illegal things to protect their children, but I had a hard time with ALL Of these things happening at one--add in deaths by cancer and suicide, bullying, virginity and sex and you have too much going on at once.

In addition, it seemed the book was written with "teachers can use this to teach acceptance and responsibility and and and" going on in the author's mind.

I still liked it, though, as it was certainly topical and some of the voices rang exceptionally true. I would recommend it, but wouldn't consider it a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lie.