Tamora Pierce's Reviews > Worldwired

Worldwired by Elizabeth Bear

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: adult, sf
Read from January 25 to 26, 2012

The world is reeling from the arrival of the Benefactors, the aliens whose nano-devices are reconstructing the world's ecology as well as fueling the AIs that are running its starships and counseling the Canadian government. This book is too widespread for me to say anything more--Jenny and her prime minister have to come before the UN to testify as to China's involvement in the attack that destroyed Toronto, left millions dead in Canada and the U.S., and landed a big chunk of iron-rich rock in Lake Ontario, the AI Richard and some very smart scientists are trying to find a way to talk to Benefactors who can't even talk to each other, and the young pilots Patty, Genie, and Min-Hue must deal with grief, loyalties, and adult responsibilities. It's one helluva rollercoaster ride with no safety promised for anyone (see the previous book) and a tremendous way to wrap up the trilogy.

My only criticism is that it's a bit confusing and hard to keep track of so many players and plot lines. ::sigh:: Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to read the trilogy again. This one is definitely a keeper!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worldwired.