Melinda VanLone's Reviews > The Affair

The Affair by Lee Child

Jan 25, 12

Read in January, 2012

First, I was confused. The story is a flashback, but for some reason I had a hard time catching onto that. I remember feeling irritated because I couldn’t figure out exactly where, in time, we were. Then I was hooked, as the story settled into the flashback and I figured out this is where Reacher began. This is his backstory, how he came to be. Why he travels so light. The whole of it. There’s more to come, I know, but this is where it all started. I have to say, it was quite fun delving into the why of it all. If you are a Reacher fan, you will love this book. It’s like snooping in someone’s medicine cabinet. It has everything I’ve come to love from a Reacher novel: Reacher, of course, in uniform…grrrrr! A couple of love-making sessions that steamed up the mirror and a mystery with clue upon clue and twist upon twist. If you haven’t read any Reacher stories, you’ve been missing out. Go…buy one…right now. I’ll wait.

First Line: “The Pentagon is the world’s largest office building, six and a half million square feet, thirty thousand people, more than seventeen miles of corridors, but it was built with just three street doors, each one of them opening into a guarded pedestrian lobby.” Well, ain’t that interesting. Great tourist information, for sure. Typical Reacher style, definitely. Not a real hook for me though. Mind you, it picks up pretty quickly as Reacher enters the building, so don’t give up based on the first line. Plus, I suppose there are those who will be fascinated by knowing all that about the Pentagon.

This was a fantastic read, and one of my favorites of the entire series. The last few books I felt like Lee Child was losing his steam a bit. Like maybe he was tired and done with Reacher. But this one proves he’s not done just yet. The structure does feel a bit Hollywood, perhaps in anticipation of a movie now that One Shot is finally in production? Whatever the reason, if you ever liked a Reacher book don’t miss this one. If you’ve never read one, start with this one. Then go back and read the others in order. 1 star each for great plot, excellent writing, fun pace, grrrr factor of lead character, and 1 for overall greatness. Lee Child, you outdid yourself with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Affair.