Alec's Reviews > Speak

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Alec by: Teacher
Recommended for: Girls; some guys
Read from February 02 to March 12, 2012 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I absolutely loved this book. I had to read it for a school project and finished it today. I have to say, this is my favorite book by Laurie Anderson, and here is why:

There aren't very many people that would address such and issue, claiming it is taboo and unexceptable. I would completely disagree. My reason behind it is that there are many girls (and even guys) who go through being raped by someone, whether family member, someone from school, a complete stranger. It could happen anywhere at anytime.

It is something I think really needs to be addressed. I know it is hard for some parents and teachers to talk about something so dangerous, but it's just like sex--it must be talked about. In order to prevent it from happening, we must speak. In order to get people to speak, we must address it; there is no other way.

I absolutely fell in love with this character, I didn't want this book to end. The end of this book, Melinda was confronted by her rapist, claiming she liked it and he tried to attack her. Melinda is finally able to get up enough courage to tell him the simple word, "No." This was hard for her throughout the whole book.

At the end, she told her art teacher, and I loved how supportive he was of her. I hate not knowing what happened between Rachel and Melinda, what happened to IT, and where Melinda will go. I guess it's a part of what makes this book so special to me. I loved this book and recommend to all girls, and even some guys who can handle such mature topics.

Laurie Halse Anderson, you have done it again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.

02/02/2012 page 29