Autumn Brady's Reviews > Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: my-reviewed-books

Though I respect what Ehrenreich tried to do here, sticking up for those with little financial means, she seemed a woman just acting a part, which came off arrogant. Educated women have minimum wage jobs and educated women are sometimes poor. Poor people are not dumb--there are a millions reasons why an educated person, or any person may want to be a waitress, a housekeeper, or have a minimum wage job (lord knows I have gone this route a time or two for various reasons and in some cases enjoyed the work). So the assumptions presented here bothered me, although Ehrenheich did succeed in making many people feel passionate about her work. Most reviewers passions aligned with negative feelings about the book, still it made people feel and think about the subject matter. This book also has the potential for people to look at their own lives and confront their own assumptions about people, so she succeeded, just not in what she intended.

* Note: My mom was a housekeeper and made a darn good living doing so. She probably made more than me in my *educated* job. Plus, I could never clean a house as well as she does--simply amazing, a talent really--rant...done.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nickel and Dimed.