Brittany's Reviews > Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books

Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-own
Read in January, 2012

Weetzie Bat meets a genie and he grants her three wishes. That's where her story really starts to get interesting. Her and her friends and her kids have a wild time in L.A. They make movies, they make faces they make love. Reality is occasionally suspended while the magic seeps in to teach them lessons and help them enjoy life.

It's hard to describe or talk about Weetzie Bat to people who have never read it. It's a trip. She's just a funky naive chick. I love Witch Baby and her snarling, snapping, kitten bites. She's a funky dark girl who needs to find her place in the big scary world. There are a lot of terrible things out there and Witch Baby needs to learn how to let go of them and find happiness in her own life. I love Weetzie too, even though she acts like a kid. She's just completely in her own world which is good for a story, but impractical in real life. I wish I could be as care-free and full of whimsy as she is. These stories blend magic and reality quite nicely, so you're never quite sure when you leave the real world. You don't really have to read Pink Smog first you can just dive right into Dangerous Angels and lose yourself in the slinkster cool Shangri-L.A. that Weetzie and her family have created. If you don't mind a little bit of magic and a girl with babies who is but a baby herself, than definitely check this out. I love the new cover too.

First Line of each story:
"The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood."
"Once upon a time."
"Cherokee Bat love the canyons."
"Angel Juan and I walk through a funky green fog."
"Dirk had known it since he could remember."

Favorite Lines:
"It was as if someone had stuck a needle full of poison into her heart. She moved like a sleepwalker. She was the girl in the fairy tale sleeping in a prison of thorns and roses."
"I don't know about happily ever after...but I know about happily, Weetzie Bat thought."
"Think of your pain like a bunch of red roses, a beautiful thorn necklace. Everyone has one."
"Witch baby heard his voice in her head as she skated home, stumbling into fences and tearing her skin on thorns."
"I want him to see flowers in my eyes and hear the songs in my hands."
"Sometimes, when she stood on the roof looking over the trees and smog and listening to the sirens, she saw ash in the air like torn gray flesh."

Read more: http://www.areadingnook.com/#ixzz1l9H...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Angels.

01/25/2012 page 53