Jacob's Reviews > Travel Team

Read from January 25 to March 28, 2012

Book Review
Travel Team
By:Jacob Wirth

The name of the book is Travel team and the Main character is a young boy that is small for his age. His name Danny, he is a big fan of sports and loves to play basketball. Danny finds out there are tryouts for the travel basketball team and wants to join, all he does is practice till it gets to dark and his parents tell him to come in for the night. “Danny would put chairs out there and dribble through them like he was dribbling out the clock at the end of the game”(pg.4).

I thought the author did a good job at making the book, The author made it feel like it was me in the book because of how I was treated because of my size and such. I didn’t learn anything but many people that is like the main character should listen to the book saying that it doesn’t matter about size to be good at something you love to do. “You know what you should hear when people start talking about your size? Blah Blah Blah”(pg.3). I think if you like sports books you would like it but most of my friends don’t play sports so i’m not sure if they would like it.

I would probably give this book a 4 because it made me feel like i’m not the only small person that gets made fun of because of there size, all thought I already know that but it’s nice to know it is in a good book. I liked the main character on how he never gave up during a hard time and he loved to play basketball. I also like how the story line was it was always right to the point, not just 1 thing that goes on for chapters. Overall I thought this was a good book and I would read it again if I had too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travel Team.

message 1: by Ms. Landers (new)

Ms. Landers It seems like you really enjoyed the book. Glad you found a book that you enjoyed. :)

Matt Middlebrooks Travel Team Review
The book I read called Travel Team by Mike Lupica is a novel about Danny Walker, a twelve-year-old basketball player that lives in Middletown. This novel always keeps you turning the pages with twists and turns that the reader would not expect. This book is not only for sports fans. Travel Team also includes Danny Walker’s struggles off the courts as well, including the struggles of having divorced parents. Overall, I thought that this book was great, and I would recommend it to everybody.
Travel Team is the story of 4’7” Danny Walker. After he was cut from the local basketball travel team because of his size, his dad decides to start a team for the kids who were cut for all the wrong reasons. In the beginning, the team looks like they may never win a game, but as the season goes on, the team starts to get better and better. Along the way is his dad trying to stay sober, and Danny is learning more about life than ever before.
The main characters in the story include Danny Walker, Richie Walker, Allie Walker, and Will. Danny has grown up with his mother his whole life. His dad, Richie, who makes occasional visits, has had quite a life. He used to be the star of Middletown basketball. In seventh grade, his team won the national championship. After high school, he went on to play for Syracuse. He later made it to the NBA and played for the Golden State Warriors. But his career ended while drunk in a car crash. Danny’s mom, Allie Walker, is a very hardworking woman. She teaches at the school Danny attends, and she is always grading papers and planning her lessons for class. Will, Danny’s best friend, plays for the travel team Danny is on, and can play basketball almost as well as he talks.
In my opinion, I think the author does a very good job at knowing what a modern kid’s thought process is like. He always explains what Danny is thinking, and how he feels after he takes harsh criticism about his height. I would give Travel Team five out of five stars. The author keeps you flipping the pages, and you can relate to at least one person in the story. This book is a perfect balance between a heart-warming story, and an underdog sports story.

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars