Nshslibrary's Reviews > Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie

U 50x66
Jan 26, 2012

did not like it
Read in January, 2012

When I saw the cover and title, the only thing I wanted to do was to read the book. Now the only thing I want to do is warn other people not to read the book. David Lubar’s Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie successfully bored me to death with its magnificently dull plot. Firstly, the author’s style is horrendous. The main character, Scott Hudson, is an average kid with nothing special about him. Dedicated solely to depict Scott’s journey throughout freshmen year, this book is terrible. I personally despised how the book consisted of multiple diary entries, all of which are addressed to Scott’s unborn sibling. The author tried too hard to recreate a teenager and ended up creating a mess. Secondly, Scott writes his diary entries with an unbelievable and unmatchable level of immaturity. Scott consistently greets his sibling with stupid names and references like when Scott says, “Hey, toe sucker” (199). It is even more humiliating when Scott says, “Hey, you fluid-dwelling piece of protoplasm” (55). This book is supposed to be humorous but instead it’s one of the worst reads I’ve ever had. Referring to his unborn sibling as a “fluid-dwelling piece of protoplasm” (55), Scott merely embarrasses himself over and over. Is that supposed to be funny? Grow up, Scott! Why did he refer to his sibling as a “toe sucker”? It was phrases like these that made me lose respect for Scott and this book. At home, my eyes closed as I write this review, I realized that the bottom line is that it is better to get hit by a truck than to read this book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie.

message 1: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Davenport I disagree. I think that Scott is intellectually overripe compared to his friends (thus the high functioning vocabulary) but still exhibits the socially immature sense of humor that makes teenagers interesting. I think your assessment of Scott's maturity is problematic because you seem to view it as unusually childish. As a fifteen year old who lives amongst Scott's peer group, I can assure you that his sense of humor is quite typical, perhaps even MORE mature than most teenagers. I mean, have you ever even been on Tumblr?

Autumn Crawford I disagree with you very much. I think David Lubar did a very good job portraying the life of a freshman boy. Yes, he writes in a journal. Scott loves English, he likes to write too, as you can tell. This is going to be his younger sibling that will find this very amusing when he is able to read and understand it, If this is how Scott will talk to his unborn sibling, why not write like it. Would you want him to be mature in his journal to his little brother??? In my opinion, you found very petty things to complain about...so you could give it a low rating.

Maggie Unger I think you forget that Scott is only a freshman in High School and a male. I think he was very age appropriate. I got called all sorts of weird immature names by my brother. I actually think he was quite mature with the way he treated Mouth and the way he treated his soon-to-be brother. Also, the fact he likes English and school- that's so different from most freshmen boys.