Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)'s Reviews > While I'm Still Myself

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012, reviewed-2012
Read from February 10 to 13, 2012

3.5 stars. Review originally posted on Feb 21, 2012 (Hands and Home Blog):

I usually tend to shy away from reading short stories as I find there is simply not enough exploration of characters to really make me care about what I am reading. I like to get to know who I am reading about and these details help me to become invested in the story.

What surprised me when I began reading While I’m Still Myself is that the focus was on individual moments, as opposed to character development, and it worked well. It was a unique concept that I enjoyed for the most part even though it was out of my comfort zone. Lane beautifully describes those little moments that can change a person’s life and each of the stories was quite well written. There was also a shock value to each of these stories that kept me moving though this collection quickly.

Being given such a small glimpse into a person’s life can go one of two ways, it could become forgettable (as I found some of the stories to be) or it can be so sensational that it stays with you long after you read the last word on the page (and I can think of two stories that definitely fall into this category). I understood the concept of the importance of a single moment in time but some of these stories would have resonated with me more if I saw more of the characters in those moments. The closest that I came to this was in the first story That Winter, which was by far my favorite story of the book.

While I’m Still Myself is a collection of thought provoking and entertaining stories that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of short stories. Lane produced a collection of shocking stories that have the power to make you stop and think about what you have just read. Even though it was out of my comfort zone, in a format that I don’t usually read, I still found this book to be an enjoyable read.

I received a review copy of While I'm Still Myself from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While I'm Still Myself.