Jenn's Reviews > The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

Jan 25, 12

Read in January, 2012

I liked this book, I did, but there are a few aspects of the narration and the characterization that helped me to enjoy this book just a little bit less.

I feel that Horowitz's Watson is a little too apologetic or regretful over how he has written previous chronicles of his old friend. An older Watson than Conan Doyle's, he looks back at how he has characterized different people, and finds himself unhappy. This, in some cases, is to explain why certain characters who might never have helped Holmes given previously written tales would seem to be on his side in this one. While I can understand and forgive that, there are times when the author is using Watson's voice to obviously present his own point of view on the old stories. Get off your soapbox, Horowitz, and tell your story!

My other minor issue is that in parts, Holmes is too sentimental. I feel that Conan Doyle was very subtle about showing Holmes' emotions. Horowitz's Watson practically points and screams "Look, look! This situation is so vile even Holmes is showing disgust, sadness, and a desire for revenge!"

Despite Horowitz's gross attempts at recreating Conan Doyle's style, the mystery itself is compelling and worth a read. Be prepared for the occasional skimmed passage, but even if you get as annoyed as I did, keep going. The intricate facets and their final unity in the last chapters are impressive. If they hadn't been, I would have given this book only 2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Silk.

message 1: by Marlene (new) - added it

Marlene Added it to my reading list!