Rhoda's Reviews > A Love Story How God Pursued Me and Found Me: An Impossibly True Story

A Love Story How God Pursued Me and Found Me by Samantha Ryan Chandler

Jan 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads
Read on January 25, 2012

Firstly I would like to thank the author as I won this as part of First Reads. Thank you for selecting me to read and review your book.

I only wish I could rate it higher - I would have given it a 2.5 if I could. Although I understand that this book is written to the author by the author, to an outsider it's very disjointed and the stories chop and change all over the place. For example, as information is provided in bits and pieces all over the place, it seemed to me initially that the author was considering leaving her husband based on the fact that he asked for his shopping change back. Obviously it was far, far more than that, but as the writing was so disjointed this was my initial perception.

Perhaps I am being overly critical of this, as I picked this book up after just finishing another autobiography of a woman who suffered unmentionable pain throughout her early life and religion also featured strongly in that book as well. However that book read far more logically than this one.

I certainly admire the author's honesty and willingness to share her pain and admire her strength, determination and faith. She certainly has a compelling story to share.

Lastly, the reason why this has ended up with 2 stars instead of 3 (seeing as I would have given it 2.5 if possible) is that the editing is quite poor. Having previously worked as an editor, I think it's second nature now to notice these things, and I find it really distracting to find sentences that don't make sense and in particular in this book, tenses that change from past to present in the same sentence. Although the author has an important story and message, the disjointedness and poor editing make it a little awkward to read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Love Story How God Pursued Me and Found Me.

05/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy McBride I know EXACTLY what you mean about poor editing! I, too, am a former editor... and it's just plain impossible for me to read anything now without noticing poor spelling, grammar and/or sentence structure. It's just a natural tendency I can't "turn off". Appreciated your comments on those shortcomings, as they mean more to me than other elements reviewed. Hope to read more of your reviews in the future!